Slow Feeder Ideas?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I was going to be brave this year and leave a whole bale out in the field for the horses over winter to save myself a job, but after seeing how they ate a complete paddock of grass over night I know they are pigs and will probably just gorge the whole bale and make themselves ill, so I am looking at slow feeders again.

I was going to go for a net over the bale, but still not convinced they won't eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Wheelie bin feeders- anyone tried these? They look like they might work, but how do the horses get the hay from the back of the bin? And do they knock it over?

Very small hole hay nets - I've got a couple of small hole nets and they do slow down eating, but my lad finds them frustrating and goes on a hunt for the easiest net to eat from, thinking these are possibly my best bet. I've looked at Trickle nets but anyone know any similar that aren't as expensive?

The eliminet (sp) are also good we use them for the chubbies at the yard abut £10 each but very strong had mine 3 years and only a couple holes :D

I use small holed haynets for Ben, but he does bite through them very quickly. I am probably on my 8th net this year because I keep needing to replace them. He does get frustrated with them, but if it means that his hay lasts longer then so be it.

I've looked at the hay hutch but I'd need at least 3 of them and they are pretty expensive.

The Elimanets look good, what size do you have?

I've got the pony for malaika plenty big enough for her weight management :D stuffed there is ample for a cob if you needed extra but the cob size are a good size for your average horse :)

KarinUS has built a splendid trickle feeder for hay for her lot when they are in the field. There are pictures on her diary. But it hardly ever rains in Texas!

newrider.com