Small lorry running costs?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What are your average annual running costs for a small lorry? Not including fuel.
Toying between saving frantically to buy one or just renting as needed, I can rent a shiny new 3.5 ton for £85 for a weekend day locally, so trying to work out how often I would need to rent before it was more expensive than running my own.

I allow about £1000 to run my lorry. This includes insurance (£180), tax (£250 ish?), breakdown (£60)ish (can't remember exact amount). So about £500 for the essential payments. Then I allow £500 for MOT, servicing and things that will go wrong. In the last year I have had to pay for a new battery, new alternator and minor bits and bobs (windscreen wipers etc) to get through the MOT. The thing is that you have to be prepared to pay out in repairs for an older lorry. Mine is an N reg so getting on a bit and it's only a matter of time before it costs me more money in maintenance. I just make the most of it while I have it and go out every weekend, often twice a week.

Thanks MP, I would love to have my own but don't have £10k sat burning a hole in my pocket so would have to not do anything for a couple of years to save up, but if I can justify renting once a month before its uneconomical that's not too bad at all :D

I think the main question is how much would you use it? Personally after I sold my trailer I hired a nice brand new lorry for similar costs as you have. I didnt go out an about alot and it suited me just fine without having the worry of maintenance, and with it being brand spanking new it was very economical on fuel. If your finding you want to get out more of compete more I suppose its then you need to question if you want the added costs of upkeep on your own. I got quite friendly with the owner and eventually I got very preferable rates to ! aswell as sometimes sharing costs.

When I had my truck and trailer I went out 3/4 times a week, often just to hack somewhere different, go to the indoor school plus comps. the big question is what can I afford right now :cool: The rental would generally be split with my friend, so would mean we could go out every other week before I would hit the £1k a year mark..... So at least I would be out and about a bit rather than stranded, but like you say without the added worry of those unexpected costs. £85 for a day out seemed a lot to spend but looking at it like this is really isn't bad.

Reactions: Gimp
I really struggled to justify renting out a lorry. It seemed to put so much pressure on the day - almost like I had to go somewhere really good to justify the rental. If you go out once a month it's certainly much cheaper to rent.

Reactions: Jessey
I never felt any pressure, was nice to just hand the lorry back when done with ! obviously in an ideal world it would of been my own lorry but for me was a perfect compromise, and saved alot of money then running a 4x4 V8 !

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
newrider.com