Small triumph today

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
As you may know, I've been having a few issues with my new (as of 6 weeks) horse Poppy, but today, after lungeing her, I brought her back to her stable and picked out her feet - and she picked up each one when I said 'lift' without me even having to touch them! This bearing in mind that the YO can't get her to let him pick out her nearside feet at all. May sounds like a very small thing but it's a big deal to me as she wouldn't let me near her feet without a struggle at first, and it indicates that she does have a real trust in me, and I can work on that! So I am happy!

Brilliant, and it is a big deal, well done.

Might mean that she is feeling more settled and comfortable. I always think that its amazing that they let us play aorund with their feet at all, for a prey animal to disable istself by having one foot off the ground they must feel that they are safe to do so. She must be feel that you can be trusted not to eat her. :smile:

Don't underestimate the breakthrough! Allowing you to pick up her feet is a huge step in the right direction. If she feels very insecure allowing you to fiddle with her tootsies is a big deal IMO. She is obviously placing her trust and security in you, rather than other people. You must be getting it right for her to do that.:smile:

Brilliant, and it is a big deal, well done.

Might mean that she is feeling more settled and comfortable. I always think that its amazing that they let us play aorund with their feet at all, for a prey animal to disable istself by having one foot off the ground they must feel that they are safe to do so. She must be feel that you can be trusted not to eat her. :smile:

Ha ha! I've realised I need to trust my own instincts around her - she actually tells me everything I need to know about her, so long as I listen!

Don't underestimate the breakthrough! Allowing you to pick up her feet is a huge step in the right direction. If she feels very insecure allowing you to fiddle with her tootsies is a big deal IMO. She is obviously placing her trust and security in you, rather than other people. You must be getting it right for her to do that.:smile:

Thank you! I hope this means she's starting to settle down again now I am back from my hols (and not going anywhere again for a good few months - not least because this month's livery bill nearly made me faint!)

Thank you! I hope this means she's starting to settle down again now I am back from my hols (and not going anywhere again for a good few months - not least because this month's livery bill nearly made me faint!)

Yeah, people with horses tend not to go on expensive holidays!!

Yeah, people with horses tend not to go on expensive holidays!!

That figures - I spent the whole time we were skiing thinking, god, what a waste of money, this is a year's worth of livery! (Don't tell my husband and kids :wink:) Luckily we all love camping - as that's what we'll be doing this summer!

I agree as already said it is a big deal and huge triumph :dance:

I went through it for first 6 month of loaning my mare for many reasons in her past although only with hind feet and she wouldve kicked you into next stable and threw grown men off her with a sidewinder :banghead:

After learning to trust us and using a lunge line to slide down back leg while at a safe distance until she didnt kick then slowly put pressure on leg and asked her t lift wiithout kicking then glove on stick then our hand we got there :tongue:

Now she will react a bit if pressure of a bandage or boot on back leg or poultice with bandage so developed different method lol but she will lift hind feet before i ask in turn after have picked out front feet :bounce:

Vet said "what a well mannered lady" :smile:

newrider.com