Snotty nose pony

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Sid's new field companion, tentatively named Twiggy, has had a snotty nose since she arrived last Friday.

She is still in my small school area so that she doesn't come into contact with any horses (other than Sid, who can touch her, though he doesn't seem to care to). Since she arrived she has had a trickle of snot from her left nostril. Sid is fine.

She doesn't have a temperature, isn't coughing, hasn't got raised glands or any other lumps or bumps, is bright, inquisitive and trotting about her space getting to know us all.

I don't have much experience with rhinoviruses in horses. How long should I leave her before allowing her out on the track? I don't want to upset other liveries or infect their horses with her cold.

If the horse is happy seperated id say keep it seperate as long as possible to rule out disease. Unfortunately as sids been in contact if the horse is infected you could already have passed something on so i would be inclind to keep sid away from any other horses as well.
Im afraid when i saw your picture the other day of the two making up i did cringe. I looked at it from the farming perspective and if i bring in new animals i try to isolate for a bit. Its what the ministry suggest. Same in my book applies to horses.

If the discharge is clear then hopefully its nothing. Even chunky seems to discharge on a regular basis now hes older, but its clear. I asked my vet about it and they said if its clear then dont worry but if its mucous coloured then worry..

14 days minimum, 30 to be safe. I tried to isolate Dan when he came but he broke out on I think day 10. Jess broke in to Niko on day 3 although I’d not isolated him (was the other side of a single fence). But realistically sid could potentially transfer anything from twiggy to neighbours the other side if he can reach them so it may be mute.

Looking at the symptoms (1 nostril only, white discharge, pony otherwise well and happy) the most likely diagnosis - by far the commonest - is sinusitis, possibly caused by tooth trouble. It can be dreadful but I find several examples of neem oil clearing it up so I'm off to get some. At least it is not contagious!

Looking at the symptoms (1 nostril only, white discharge, pony otherwise well and happy) the most likely diagnosis - by far the commonest - is sinusitis, possibly caused by tooth trouble. It can be dreadful but I find several examples of neem oil clearing it up so I'm off to get some. At least it is not contagious!
How will you use the neem oil? I wonder what can be wrong with her teeth she is young isn't she?

Joe had a sinus problem caused by fine sawdust type bedding and using a treat ball. He had to have his sinus flushed out - vet thought a bad tooth at first but it turns out it wasn't and it had to be flushed daily for a week at the animal hospital. But his discharge was yellow I do remember and not very nice at all.

At my yard (well I guess it is my old yard now I am no longer there!) we had to have clear tests for strangles before any of the horses were allowed to mix. Ben was diagnosed as a carrier for strangles and I had to have his guttural pouches washed out otherwise he could have infected the other horses. When you said snotty nose, my first thought was to eliminate strangles as a possibility. This may sound extreme, but it was the first thing anyone suggested when a new horse with a snotty nose came along. I presume all the horses have been vaccinated against equine flu?

newrider.com