Snotty Nosed horse - what should I do?

cariadbach10

Happily Hacking
Sep 16, 2007
Devon
My new boy arrived the day before yesterday. He is Tb cross ID and fully clipped. Wears three rugs (!) at night and a stable and heavyweight turnout in the day.
He didnt get much turnout (and then only in an arena) in his last home, :(so I was keen for him to go out in the field during daylight hours.He had a slightly snotty nose when he arrived but I put it down to the stress of travelling.
He went out yesterday and was fine, but today my friend called me at 3pm(he had gone out at 9am) to say the snot was really bad. I brought him in and rugged him up and he seemed okay, if a little moody.
In his last place all the hay was also stored in the big barn he lived in practically 24/7 and the vet picked up on some respiratory problems. A friend has suggested he might be be clearing out his airways?
The snot is white BTW!
Any ideas anyone? I am sat at home worrying about him! Have I shocked him with too much turnout?!!!Help!

I doubt it it the turnout alone - most likely the stress of change, with unfamiliar people, paces and other horses.
I think he can be excused for being a little moody!I would contact your vet, explain the situation and see what s/he says; and do so ASAP to nip whatever it may be in the bud before it escalates.

Poor boy, having had no turnout! Make sure you introduce it gradually into his routine, with just a few horus at first, and preferably in company. And give him lots of love, unconditionally; he needs a good, loyal friend right now!!

Good luck!

:)

xx

We've currently got a few horses with snot and the odd cough at the moment at the yard, Tess amongst them. Don't know if it's a bit of a virus, or dust in the hay, but a vet had a look the other day and wasn't too concerned. He advised as much turnout as possible apparently. If it's white and he doesn't appear off colour then it's probably nothing too much to worry about :)

Sheesh, lol, call the vet! My horses normally only drip clear, not white. It could be an infection, and, if it get's too bad, could clog up his nose. He can only breathe through the nose, so if it's stuffed up, that would be a bad thing...

The turnout is probably the best thing you can do for him at the moment. After being in such a dusty enviroment it's no surprise that he's got a snotty nose & it won't go instantly.

As long as he's bright in himself & isn't showing any other problems then I'd keep him well rugged up & turn out as much as possible. If he was mine I'd start soaking or steaming his hay & always muck him out well in advance of bringing him in so any dust has time to settle. Other than that I'd keep a close eye on him & if it gets worse, he starts coughing or it isn't clearing up after a week I'd speak to the vet. I'm sure that a majpr problem or infection would have been picked up at his vetting so please don't panic!

Echo Yann and Carthorse. When I first got my IDxTB last year, he instantly developed horrible white snot which would dribble out of his nose, and phlegmy chunks occasionally. Yuk!! I had the vet out and he checked him over, there were no respiratory problems and he was fine! He suggested it could be a dust allergy to the hay, as he'd come from living out. He was changed to haylage and it disappeared immediately.

Good luck! :D

It turned yellow day before yesterday so got the vet out and he's diagnosed an upper respirtory tract infection and he's on antibiotics. Ive changed to haylage and am continuing to turn him out. He is developing a cough whilst he is eating his hayalge bless him, but the snot has either gone or diminished!

Are you feeding off the floor? If his haylage is in net get it on the floor so he can drain properly, i nearly lost a horse due to a similiar infection but thankfully pulled through after nearly £2000 of vet treatment!!

Yarghhhh! I am feeding haylage off the floor. I definately can't afford that much veterinary treatment (esp as this isnt covered under insurance as he was treated for a cough with his previous owners). He seems really bright in himself now, and I said he is on antibiotics. i'm just desperately hoping that he doesn't pass it to the horses next to him, as we have american barn stabling. He is still going out in the day....am I right in thinking this is best for him?

I wouldn't worry that much about the snot if it doesn't smell and is white - and not too thick (sorry for the lurid descriptions!) You could ring the vet for advice - I would keep an eye on it. So long as he's not coughing? Then give it another day - it might just be his passages getting used to the fresh air!! Bit like us when we get a runny nose in the fresh air? If you're really concerned then ask the vet.

Doh! just read your other posts - so it is yellow! Hope the antibiotics work soon - poor thing. Our Joe had an awful nasal infection last March - meant hospitalisation to drain it - it was very upsetting but (touches wood) has left no lasting problems behind. Lets hope your boy just has a cold.

newrider.com