So, could I afford a house where you live?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Following on from my remote house post....

I have worked out that I could afford to buy a house in Scotland with my budget. A bit too far to travel to work / parents.

So, for a 2/3 bedroom house needing no work, with stables and at least three acres of land, away from a main road, good hacking and within a reasonable (15minutes ish) drive from a motorway, how much would I need to pay in your area?

Nope not a chance. Live in a village 30 miles outside London a small one bedroom is £250,000 no land nothing.

We can afford to buy further north but we would never get to live in it until I leave the RAF is 14 years time.

In 17 years I could only ever afford to leave in my own hom one for four years

You'd be unlikely to find one as anything with that much land would have been made into a mansion.

But if you could, theoretically - about £1m?

£485,000
Delightful large period cottage with outbuildings, gardens, paddocks approx 2.8 acres. Delightful Large Detached Cottage. Versatile Character Accommodation. Large Gardens with Ponds. Pasture Paddocks. Excellent Range of Outbuildings. Large Dutch Barn & Stables. In All 2.8 Acres.

I laughed further on when it said "with its own long private driveway" but it mentions parking for horse box.

On that particular website annoyingly most are on request re price. That puzzles me because I always like to know the price of everything before I buy it.
Why the secrecy.

Last edited:
If we could find anything like that round here (East Yorkshire on the Vale of York - the flat bit) we'd snap it up! Properties like that seem to be very few and far between, usually equestrian properties have large expensive houses, or no house at all. We're looking to downsize now that all the children have left home and I'd love a small house or bungalow with some land but there's just nothing about. There is actually one in the village - an ex-council semi that is on the end of the small row and previous owners managed to buy the fields to the side and behind (I'm guessing 10 acres, maybe a bit less) and put buildings on so now it's a working livery yard. I can't remember what it went for when it changed hands several years ago, but I think it was in excess of £400k which I don't suppose is bad.

Wales seems to be quite cheap for land too.

None in London but this was the closest and cheapest I could find!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-05-07-22-20.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-05-07-22-20.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 14
Not where I am now, no! I'm on the edge of a small market town/village about 25 miles from London - you'd be looking at £1.5 million, plus.

OH and I bought in May & paid £320, 000 for a two bedroom end of terrace 90's built house with no driveway or garage and a small garden. That was cheap as the divorcing couple wanted a quick sale and it needs a little bit of work doing - new boiler, replacing the original wooden windows and shutters, new carpet upstairs and other bits like that. To be fair it is in a conservation/protected wildlife area - but even outside of the conservation area, the other properties we looked at (in a 5-10 mile radius) were all £310,000 plus.

Last edited:
New forest - I can only dream here. With land etc, probably upwards of 1m. :( . We looked up in Northumbria, and if we could hack the weather, (which we should be able to - we're both northerners, turned soft southies!) there were very affordable properties up there. Problem is, I've got used to having 220 square miles of open land to hack in!

there was a huge equestrian centre near Biggar with indoor school stables horse walk house for £450,000. And some in Lanarkshire for around £350K with big houses and 5 acres. Scotland and Wales are the places, or some of the more depressed areas in the north east.

Our children (now middle aged) could not afford to live where we live. Our grandchildren never.

Certain areas are cheaper definately.

Now this is where I am going to say something really bizarre!!!!. And I don't want to hijack the thread, but-

I actually do not want my horse at home. Now not saying somewhere to pop her wouldn't be fun. A stable wouldn't be off the cards, for an overnight camp.
But I actually like my yard. She's got her pals and I would need to choose one for her, creating extra work. Or get in a livery, good and bad but likely more work. Repairs and management are down to me, whereas now its all taken care of.
Hum, no, you live at your place and I live at mine. ;)

My old yard sold just over 2 years ago, a very dated 2 bed bungalow in need of complete renovation, with old outbuildings made of wood and asbestos and 5 acres (only 2.5 of which were usable as grazing) for
£385k and the new owners have spent approx. another
£200k doing it up and getting the rest of the land usable. The nearest motorway is an hour away.

2-3 acres + small not so nice house normally seem to fall in the £400k ballpark here, but they very rarely come up.

Gosh, I’m not sure I’ve really ever seen something like that for sale locally here. We’d be very interested if it did come up but so would millions of others I’d imagine! Someone has just offered 30k an acre for my field (which unfortunately isn’t mine!) I think I’m my village a 2/3 bed would be in the region of £400,000 with nothing.

This house is ‘only’ £350k. The location obviously affects the price massively. The nearest large town hasn’t got a brilliant reputation, and, I think, has some of the cheapest houses in Britain for sale.
None of that would bother me as I would never go into that town but would travel to a ‘nicer’ one if I ever needed to go, not a shopper anyway.
When I look on Rightmove, there are a few properties in Aberdeenshire at a similar price but elderly parents mean I can’t move too far from where we currently are.
If I look even further North, such as Caithness, I could buy a property with over 20 acres of land for the same money.

Reactions: Jessey
Probs around £550k in South Shropshire. But things are cheaper if you hop over the border into Wales.

If you could find something around here it would probably be around the £1million mark, if not more.

@newforest like you I'm not actually sure I'd want mine at home. I like the company of a yard and the amount that goes on plus there's back up for holidays, illness etc and no need to worry about maintenance. Oh and I'd have to buy at least one more for company, if not two, and daft as it sounds Little In has decided he likes being an only child and not having to share my attention. Good ad friendly yards are fantastic places, and mine is good.

I'd have mine at home in a flash :) I love being able to potter out and do a little then go for a cuppa, then go do a little more etc. and popping out for late night checks if something is worrying you, I hate having to get back in the car at 9pm to go and check on things (though it's only rarely I do it)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I'd love to have a small house with some land one day. A place for Ale and Brodie to retire to with Shetland friend. And some goats. And probably 100 other animals too

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
One bedroom cottage in our village £370,000 this is a terrace our place is 2 bedroom terrace around £350 upwards.This is village in the southdown national park

newrider.com