So excited first outing with Cyrus tomorrow!

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
So excited, 4 of us from yard are bringing our horses to a venue with great enclosed xc course. First outing with my new boy so very excited and only a tiny bit nervous :giggle:

Will be up at yard early to give the horses their breakfast (they are on livery but staff don't arrive until about 8:30/9 when we are heading off so I'll give them early breakfast). Then tackle any stable stains and get the spotty star ready for the journey :biggrin:

My friend's brother is towing her trailer and will be taking photos too so should get some pictures of our day out to put up here :bounce:

I love xc and our instructor is coming to give us lesson schooling the horses so should be great fun.

Wow that sounds fab, sure you will have lots of fun!

Can't wait for pictures!

Got up to yard just after 7:30, gave the horses breakfast, had some coffee, then groomed and then we did the usual getting together of everything you need for day out with horses (lots and lots of stuff lol)

Cyrus loaded and unloaded great (my RI loaded him when setting off as I had never done before). I loaded him on way home and he was very good boy.

Had a fantastic day at the venue, was so much fun. Unfortunately don't have pics as one of the others riding ended up driving and towing instead of other friend's brother as her jeep was being naughty. I plan to have lots of outings with my boy so will have photos next time.

Was great and Cyrus enjoyed himself and did fantastic, don't think he has done much xc before according to last owner.

Loads of different types of jumps. We started with a straight small one with poles made from thin branches/twigs. Then did some ones you hop up onto (banks? and different step levels up) and jump down other side. First jump down was grand then at slightly higher one down Cyrus decided it was scary to go down. We had some 'I don't wanna bucks' when encouraged with very gentle tap of stick but nothing bad or unseating. My RI hopped up and she went up to top one then got a lead from another horse to go back way we came so wasn't as scary.

A bit later I schooled him on some of the bank/steps up and down starting with ones that were a few inches drop then the spotty boy was soon doing foot and a half drop. He just needed to take it slow and build his confidence, he probably had never done drops before.

We also did water jump fun, you could just walk into it, so we all had walk and splash together, then individually, then trot in it and then trot and jump out, was cool and my first time doing water jump and Cyrus liked the splashy splash :giggle:

Next I think we did what we called the gruesome twosome :biggrin: canter up to a brush type jump and over that goes up onto a hill track thing then down over a log with a bit of a drop. Was so much fun :biggrin:

Then we did some trot/canter up steps and then around and down over a lip I think it is called (drop with little gap). First time we did the little lip, next time we went for the middle one. Big pats for the lovely spotty horse.

Then we did a course which was so much fun, which was straight sticks jump, up a new bank with a log on it and down other side, then canter/trot around half lap on left rein an then into water jump out of water, then few strides up a bank and down a drop, then go right and up over the gruesome twosome, up the steps and down a lip and then finally another new jump, a wooden cottage. Cyrus did absolutely super and we did a nice little round. Only thing we didn't do right was the bank after water jump as he went to side of it but happend to all but one horse as hard to get line really straight in water and out, but I did a circle and went up over it and down and he did it perfect then.

Massive pats and a huge smile on my face and great comments from my RI after our course so I was thrilled and so proud of Cyrus.

To finish off after a little breather I did a bit of a bigger jump which only one of the other (more experienced) riders had down on a horse almost hand bigger. It was up onto a canter trail, then trot down a bit and over log with tyres on it and a much bigger drop then had down before. Cyrus cleared it perfectly and got massive pats and hugs.

Then it was time to untack, water the horses and hose them down and get the wonderful horses ready for the journey home. They also got apple from RI for being great :bounce:

Soon we were on our way home after a fantastic, exciting and very fun day :biggrin: Had a ham roll and cold drink in car :giggle: just what I needed.

Got back to yard after 2hr trip, unloaded horses, made sure all ok, they went to their stables and had dinner. Put away all our stuff. Chatted for a bit and to others at yard and then last look in on the horses. Finally time to head for home, only home about 40mins. It is now time for pizza and wine and an earlyish night :biggrin:

Great report, sounds like you had a fantastic day! He sounds amazing :happy:

Wow what an amazing day and well done spotty pony, You must be buzzing. :biggrin:

I am on such a high :biggrin: :bounce: I love xc and so happy I have such a great horse I can bring out to do it now :happy:

Local hunter trials in about a month, might give pre-novice pairs a go, just for experience and fun don't expect any rosettes or anything just yet.

Great report, sounds like you had a fantastic day! He sounds amazing :happy:

Thanks Ale, he really is so good and just a wonderful all rounder and so easy to do in pretty much every way.

I am very lucky he came into my life :happy:

newrider.com