So far so good

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Fleurette has now had a month of out during the day following our tentative re-introduction to grass. She hasn't gained weight, and she remains perfectly sound, bombing around at huge speed, bucking and kicking. she is plastered from head to foot, her mane is 18 inches long and she is happy!

In the spring she will go onto a track and hope for the best. Took a risk trying her back on grass as we haven't re=tested her for EMS but gone by her weight, and we did it hour by hour in a small paddock, so one hour, then 2 then 3 etc building it up.

She still comes in at night, so we can restrict her intake a bit then.

Hoping this is the beginning of her having more freedom and fun as being yarded November to October is a long time, though she was an ideal patient. Totally surprised me that she coped with it. Thought she would be utterly manic but she and Leo just poodled around together and were very chilled.

Sound as a pound, weight staying off and good, full of herself. Did a tiny bit of work with her today, she remembers it all but this time around she is so chilled and calm and not fussed, hardly needs an aid at all. We just did some walking on the yard, in and out of the uprights on the canopy, doing tight circles around them in both directions, she just stayed at my shoulder wherever I went, halted when I halted. Backed up around them in circles as well. I am almost tempted to back her and ride her.

She is 7 today, we have come a long way together, including some times when I really could not stand her, as she was argumentative, bratty and very difficult. I get on better with flight not fight horses and she is definitely fight. But she has matured and regained her sweetness and is more trustworthy now. I did a tiny bit of work with her and she was so light and responsive and listening. When I had to bring her in from the top of the hill and she was all wound up, she just plodded with me, stopping when I asked, no touch on her rope, just following me. I actually like her now, for a long time I didn't, but we have got back to being friends again. She isn't an ideal ride for a stiff old codger as she has a huge buck and rear in her and she is very very fast and fast on her feet. I wouldn't have a go unless her trainer could show me that she was safe as getting smashed up isn't a good plan. But we'll see.

newrider.com