So it's APRIL - Spring Chat

One of my longings wad to own a pair of Jean jodphurs.
I have these now. I like them.
But, I am beginning to wish I got them in black, grey, or perhaps muddy soaked brown.

Don't get me wrong I am not moaning, I have just got her out in the rain after the rain - without sliding down the hill to the gate.
But she's stamping and I can't yet clip her because it's still wet.
And the midges are an irritant.

It must have been very very windy last night as it blew the cob into the paddock I need to rest for winter grass.
I was initially annoyed with myself for not putting up the second strand, usually I do in case one strand breaks, or it leans in the wind. The second strand can act as a barrier.

Both electric fence units and batteries were doing back stroke in the storage box.
I wasn't expecting anything to work, if it didn't that's a lot of money down the drain. They are only four years old.
I tipped out the water in both and the lid fell off one the batteries. Anyway, set it up and it works. It's chuckling out 9000v, haven't used it since last summer so not sure how long it will actually last.
I will sell on the other one, I don't need two large ones that do 9 or 12v,I don't use the 12v.

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Bodshi
Mine are still on the winter paddock. We had a few days straight of temperatures in the double figures and the grass suddenly grew like crazy. Like an idiot I decided Spring had arrived and the last three afternoons I put them on the rested paddocks for an hour before they come in, just so the grass didn't get out of hand. Today we're back to cold and miserable and I'm not risking them cut up the good paddocks galloping about in the wind and rain, so they were disappointed tonight. Please Spring, hurry up šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
We run out of grass in January so had to move to the new paddock. But I hadn't needed to put any fencing on as she hasn't accidently blown into anything.

As I am still posting I didn't electrocute myself on the set up.
Hats off to the manufacturer for making something seriously heavy duty.

_20240409_203819.JPG

Another company ceases trading online due to costs.
I was just looking up the info on the electric fencing I bought from them.

I know I can go elsewhere, but it made sense to buy everything from one place.

_20240410_113637.JPG

Was that voss fencing you had by an chance. They are a germany company i believe. But the uk part ceasesed a month or so ago. I think they still exist in germany but youd have to take a holiday out there and an empty suitcase.

Was that voss fencing you had by a chance. They are a germany company i believe. But the uk part ceasesed a month or so ago. I think they still exist in germany but youd have to take a holiday out there and an empty suitcase.
It hasnā€™t actually ceased, you can still phone the uk shop to order apparently, they get it from Germany in bulk then ship from there. Itā€™s sending individual packages that was their issue, or so Iā€™m told.

I had just finished poo picking when yo came past and said they had just had quads. So of course i had to go help! Sadly the 5th lamb had died inside. The 4 remaining were getting tubed with colostrum. Funnily the biggest/normal sized lamb was the doppyist. So I was cuddling them/helping rub them/hand them over for tubing etc. I am willing them all to be ok.

I then went back to robin. He sniffed my hand, then the other hand then up and down me and declared that I stinkšŸ¤£

It hasnā€™t actually ceased, you can still phone the uk shop to order apparently, they get it from Germany in bulk then ship from there. Itā€™s sending individual packages that was their issue, or so Iā€™m told.
The website isn't showing up what they stock though. It shows up as shop closure.

So yesterday i got to experience something completely different. I went on a tour round a tannery.

I now appreciate why we pay such a high price tag for our saddles and bridles. The amount of work and the processes that it goes through is huge.
It is very back breaking, physical work. You need to be 100% fit to work there, with all the lifting The initial process is very stinky and wet. Loads of chemical processes. You wonder how it can then be turned into that lovely new leather smell we love when we walk into a tack shop.
Did you know theres only one area of a horse you can use to make leather from. Its rump. The rest of a horse isnt suitable.

Just wanted to share this video of AJ being cute with 'his' cat. He's not keen on the dogs, he's gentle with both cats (who have taken to curling up in the straw in the corner of his stable), but he seems to genuinely have taken a shine to Black Cat šŸ’•

Oh and the crash at the end of the video is Raf kicking his door because it was time to go out and I'm just pratting about getting all soppy over AJ šŸ˜‚

Just wanted to share this video of AJ being cute with 'his' cat. He's not keen on the dogs, he's gentle with both cats (who have taken to curling up in the straw in the corner of his stable), but he seems to genuinely have taken a shine to Black Cat šŸ’•

Oh and the crash at the end of the video is Raf kicking his door because it was time to go out and I'm just pratting about getting all soppy over AJ šŸ˜‚
He's turning into a character isn't he.

@Bodshi he would win prizes for cute!

I've given up and bought myself some new wellies. Normally I can wear my neoprene lined ones until the fields are dry, but this year it's too warm to wear them for long and still far too muddy for short boots :(

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com