So it's APRIL - Spring Chat

I like my Rambo ones. I can actually walk in them, but we have dried up enough for my short ones.

We've been asked to move back to our old paddock, so that's even better in that respect as it's dry.
I was very annoyed about being told two new liveries are moving in to the paddock I have just cleared. However, the cob isn't really keen on it, it's her usual "spot", and that's not prang that how I feel. She needs to be happy she lives there šŸ˜‚

I was converted to Aigle Parcours years ago, they're pricey but they last well and more importantly they're comfortable.

Funny you should talk wellies. I brought a pair of neoprene wellies last year. Paid 4 times the cost of the wellies i normally get. Granted ive had warm feet over winter. But guess what i spotted yesterday the sole is coming away. Im so disappointed. Im hoping to super glue them back together and maybe I'll get another winter out of them. I shall stop wearing them soon.

Ive got 2 pairs of walking boots on the go, both of them completely split. I keep getting stones and mud in through the splits. Someone even commented the other day about the state of them. I really do look like one of those poor people. Ive got 2 new pairs in the wardrobe and i said that once id done the mucking out for lambing and it dries up i will bin the wrecked ones. The acid in the muck detroys the leather so it was pointless starting using new ones till it was done. I dont fancy walking through long grass over the summer with gapping holes for snakes to bite me.

Just to add to my pauper theme. Almost every pair of my current socks has a hole in the toes or ankles. The underneaths are literally just threads ive worn them so thin.

Ive already worn out 4 pairs of jeans this winter. Trip to the local charity shops required soon to get some replacements.

Im going to have a spring clear out in the next week and break out all my new stuff. I think i could fill a bin bag with the knacked stuff. I actually cant wait to do it. Ive been feeling a bit low the last couple of weeks with one thing and another. Im hoping a sort out and breaking out the new stuff will give me the pick me up.

Reactions: Jessey
Funny you should talk wellies. I brought a pair of neoprene wellies last year. Paid 4 times the cost of the wellies i normally get. Granted ive had warm feet over winter. But guess what i spotted yesterday the sole is coming away. Im so disappointed. Im hoping to super glue them back together and maybe I'll get another winter out of them. I shall stop wearing them soon.

Ive got 2 pairs of walking boots on the go, both of them completely split. I keep getting stones and mud in through the splits. Someone even commented the other day about the state of them. I really do look like one of those poor people. Ive got 2 new pairs in the wardrobe and i said that once id done the mucking out for lambing and it dries up i will bin the wrecked ones. The acid in the muck detroys the leather so it was pointless starting using new ones till it was done. I dont fancy walking through long grass over the summer with gapping holes for snakes to bite me.

Just to add to my pauper theme. Almost every pair of my current socks has a hole in the toes or ankles. The underneaths are literally just threads ive worn them so thin.

Ive already worn out 4 pairs of jeans this winter. Trip to the local charity shops required soon to get some replacements.

Im going to have a spring clear out in the next week and break out all my new stuff. I think i could fill a bin bag with the knacked stuff. I actually cant wait to do it. Ive been feeling a bit low the last couple of weeks with one thing and another. Im hoping a sort out and breaking out the new stuff will give me the pick me up.
The heels on my socks tend to go, I find two pairs helps with that though.
I have kept my split walking boots to use on dry days.
And my other split lower profile walking boots are my new riding ones. šŸ˜‚
I have a pair of summer Joules plimsole things for the summer.

I don't think it's necessarily the acid in the muck that does it.
I think it's the wet. Mine lives out so I am not dealing with mucking out, but I am dealing with a very wet field and boots need to dry out naturally and be cleaned after each use else they will fall apart.
Her hoof boots are better made!

I had to fetch someone from the wrong paddock, she is probably just confused about the fact we've had to move back.
Anyway as it's so wet I decided to get her with just the headcollar. I can't hold onto her if she gives me the run around anyway and the leadrope just drags in the wet and finds the only muddy spot we have. So I decided not to bother with getting it wet.
She led nicely šŸ˜‚
Okay she stopped once to think about it, I just stopped as well and asked her walk on, she did.
She rarely leads nicely across the field in just a headcollar.

OH showed me a video (on TikTok possibly) of a girl pretending to put a headcollar on a horse, pick up the lead rope and lead it off. The horse just followed as if it was real. Maybe Tilly would be good at that? I'm going to try it later šŸ˜‚

OH showed me a video (on TikTok possibly) of a girl pretending to put a headcollar on a horse, pick up the lead rope and lead it off. The horse just followed as if it was real. Maybe Tilly would be good at that? I'm going to try it later šŸ˜‚
The thing with her, if I try to do something to test it, it won't work. If I NEED to do it, it will šŸ˜‚

She must hear my thoughts as she had moved paddocks, just to the wrong one šŸ˜‚

*sigh* thought I wound be nice last night and put robin back out after tea to come in later. He had his buddy next door. Initially he didn't realise his buddy was out so stood and cried. Then he spotted him and set off, I left him grazing happily. I went back a couple of hours later. Worried looking horse trotted to the gate. Clip clop clip thud. Yup he had removed a shoe!

This morning however he showed me where he had left the shoe. Farrier or course not answering phone.

Oh no! thats the worst thing about shoes. I cringed last night as Jess raced me in my car along the road (I had done the little boys first 2 fields over then pulled the car down), she came down the field, 90degree turn onto the track, another 90 degree turn through the gate and into the barn field and she came flat out along that track to the gate, I was convinced she would pull a shoe!

Chunky i think only ever pulled 3 shoes in the entire time he was shod. Albeit he had fronts only. One a bar shoe, and 2 and 3 were double whammies when both feet went into the stock netting. In fact the 3rd only came loose rather than off. Never really worried about him pulling shoes. Oh actually i think he did throw a 4th come to think of it.
Must say i dont miss the shoes. It is one less thing to check each day. So much easier to pick feet out.

*sigh* thought I wound be nice last night and put robin back out after tea to come in later. He had his buddy next door. Initially he didn't realise his buddy was out so stood and cried. Then he spotted him and set off, I left him grazing happily. I went back a couple of hours later. Worried looking horse trotted to the gate. Clip clop clip thud. Yup he had removed a shoe!

This morning however he showed me where he had left the shoe. Farrier or course not answering phone.
Is it possible as he was on box rest that his feet have gone a bit soft?
It's just the getting back to normal being out and in normal shoes?
Random thought.

Yep that's the issue newforest. He has been known to pull them off before but his feet have changed shape slightly rather than getting soft, farrier said to leave over reach boots on which I had been doing, but I had left off so the sore heel didn't get compacted mud

love watching the bulbs come up, the dog tooth violets are beautiful and the bluebells i planted next to the hen run to follow on from the snowdrops are appearing, puny but will improve in years to come. Planted 2 clematis montana ruben at both ends of the run and 3 kilmarnock weeping willow. Got the man booked to come and concrete the front yard in May, and looking for a skid steer thingy to automate myself.

1713290228511.png

• Wow
Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Day one of being self sufficient and doing our own water. I only managed to pull one container up the one acre.
The other two containers plus the one on wheels I physically couldn't get beyond the start of her track.
(I wonder if there is anyone local who wants to pull them up as part of their worlds strongest person training!!!)
Its only a really big problem until next month when I close off the back paddock and she can move forward, by then her water won't need to go as far up the track. If I haven't died by then!

I could do with a little motor on something that can do a grass bumpy hill. I dont want a quad, though that would be fabulous, it's just too move water up a hill.
What about a little ride on mower?
Could that carry water plus me.

Whats changed im lost how come your having to cart water. Are you getting it out a stream. Submersible pump and blue water pipe off a 12v battery. If your only pumping a short distance. Could you put the container in a wheelbarrow. Thats what i used to do when i was at the yard and had them in the top part of the field.
Alternately rearrange your paddock to go closer to the water source. Carting water is a back killer.

Ride on mower left in a field would be very desirable by thieves. If its a steep hill rid on mowers just spin the minute its even damp.

newrider.com