So much for hardy native!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I'll allow it's a lot colder, windy and drizzly today. I'll even allow there's not a lot in the field and he's lost a tiny bit of weight. But he'd spent a couple of hours in eating hay before going for a short ride, having a feed and going out with a rug on and his treatball. While he was playing with it I walked the paddock looking for a lost magnetic band and as soon as he saw me about to go he came charging up the field first to me and then to dance backwards and forwards by the gate - the weather really wasn't that bad! I hadn't got the heart to say no, so to clear pony smirks I brought him in, topped up his water and gave him his evening soaked net. For someone who normally kicks up about stables in the summer he was doing a very good impression of hiding in his, wouldn't even come to the door for an apple!!!! And they say natives are meant to be hardy and live off fresh air, well clearly someone's native cunning insists that a sheltered stable with easy food is a far better bet today ?

My two looked a bit bedraggled this evening with the heavy showers we had a 5pm. But they got a quick bit of exercise and turned back out. Billy shot off like a bolt of lightening as he knew id moved the fence. I didnt give them fresh yesterday. Boy youd think id starved them the speed he went.

I swear that if they haven't got food in their mouth they think they're starving - the mouthful they just swallowed is ancient history lol. I expect Little In will claim starvation tomorrow morning since the net he normally gets in the evening was eaten during the daytime and he wasn't getting another - there's not much grass in the field but there is some.

Reactions: Huggy and lauren123
When i went out to put the hens in, it had started raining so i opened the yard gate so that those who were in the starvation paddock could get under cover, and brought Suze and Buddy in to the yard.

Reactions: Huggy
Chloe the cob comes in at the slightest hint of rain, wind, sleet etc. In fact, anything other than bright sunshine fetches her in after half an hour! She gets very upset unless she can free range, she's not greedy - it's not food at all, because she'll come back and stand in the byre with nothing even though I leave hay out.
Storm doesn't care about bad weather lol Not often. She expects us to take her out in hand in a force ten!! (if she's not having a small paddock).

Reactions: Huggy
The change in weather has been quite dramatic, on Friday night after already having had a good soaking and dried out Jess was grumpy and her coat was stood on end so I relented and chucked a rain sheet on her, she’s not normally one to feel the cold but a 15c drop in a few days got to her. I’ve left it on all weekend as it’s been pretty heavy nonstop rain here, with a few good thunder/hail storms, dry again today though so that’s coming back off.

Oh, bless his heart ❤

I'm yet to break it to Pete that he's moving to a yard where he won't have his own individual designated stable :D

He might have lived wild on the New Forest but he does enjoy coming into his stable during wet or wintry weather ... I hope it stays dry for a while he gets used to it (and his shared accommodation)!

Reactions: Trewsers
Poor Pete, shall I phone the RSPCA on his behalf? ?

I sometimes think the ones who have lived a bit rough are the ones who appreciate the luxuries the most.

Reactions: Trewsers
The change in weather has been quite dramatic, on Friday night after already having had a good soaking and dried out Jess was grumpy and her coat was stood on end so I relented and chucked a rain sheet on her, she’s not normally one to feel the cold but a 15c drop in a few days got to her. I’ve left it on all weekend as it’s been pretty heavy nonstop rain here, with a few good thunder/hail storms, dry again today though so that’s coming back off.

I think the dramatic change is what gets to them. Even up here we went from it being pleasant and mild enough for Zi having no rug at all to him coming in shivering and soaked, so I put his lightweight back on. Thing is, he's got such a fine summer coat through now, so unfair to leave him without when it's dropped and changed so quickly.

newrider.com