So now I have 2 horses - rambling confused post

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I mentioned on another thread today that Mattie's owner came to see me yesterday. She said she had never seen Mattie so calm, happy and chilled, and that she could not foresee ever being able to afford to keep him again, so she was going to give him to me.

I was a bit flabbergasted TBH. I thought she was coming to say she wanted him back, and if I am absolutely honest I was thinking, "Oh, if Mattie goes, I could get a baby horse" (I have been broody for some time, and there is no way we can afford or I have time to manage 3).

I hardly ride Mattie, because I don't have much riding time and Ziggy needs it all! He is hacked out once a week by a fellow livery's OH, who loves to ride him. It feels a bit as if Ziggy is my favourite child, and Mattie not, and I feel quite sorry for Mattie because he is such a lovely, gentle, sweetnatured horse and really deserves a 1-1 relationship.

On the other hand, he wouldn't suit many people - he MUST live out, gets stressed without company, takes a long time to settle and is only suitable for hacking and schooling and the odd sponsored ride because of an old injury from when he raced (he is a French Arab ex-racer, big for an Arab at 15.2). And while he is a lovely, polite horse to ride, he is still an Arab, and if in doubt his tail just sticks up further and further and his paces get more and more and more elevated until he is practically floating :angel: so he might be a bit unnerving for a less confident (foolhardy) perkin than me.

Half of me (this half :devil:) thinks, "Well, if he's mine, I can rehome him, and then I can get my baby horse". On the basis that baby horse wouldn't need to be ridden for 3 or 4 years, by which time I would have enough time to ride both baby horse and Ziggy and be a better, more consistent rider after so much training by the Zigmeister.

The other, better half thinks that I always like new things, but horses don't, so wanting to have horses in my life means I have to stick with things: and that Mattie is a dear lovely horse, who deserves to be happy, and since I know he is happy with us, he should stay.

At the moment the better half is in charge... Not sure why I am telling you all this, but it's a relief to talk about it!

sometimes it just helps to let it all out :biggrin: I can see where you are coming from on both sides, am sure it would be lovely to have a youngster but as you say, Mattie is settled with you - oh dear, dont envy you atm

Can we have some Mattie pics please? He sounds lovely

You've been GIVEN a pony!!! :biggrin:

Well that's all a bit "Josephine Pullein-Thompson" isn't it? What we all wished for as a child ... congratulations! :dance:

(sorry, she was the only author I could remember from my childhood :redface:)

Awh Jane, this is lovely news, a very big compliment that she is willing to put him in your care permanently. Maybe it is for the best just now as having a baby pony while you're trying to establish your business might not be practical. Sorry, thats very sensible as wel as I guess you could have a youngster at grass for the next couple of years while you sort things out so I can see both arguments.
I think you'll find a way to have your cake and eat it (and well deserved, you work hard, why shouldn't you play hard as well!)

You could always loan him out - full loan to stay at present yard for confident rider who just wants to pootle about on fun Arab!!!!

And get a baby hoss!!

I'm broody for a baby hoss - especially after "B"

OH said once I get a new job and we are in our new house (march!) I can have one!

I plan to be at York sales the first week in march!

Well now, that's put you in a bit of a spot hasn't it?! Mmmm. Heart would rule head with me and I've have to keep him, mainly because I would feel such a git moving him, if he's a sensitive soul! But, if you're already struggling time wise for riding Ziggy, then, it does seem daft him just being a field ornament.
Can you advertise for somebody capable to come ride him say just once / twice a week? If he hacks out wouldn't he make a nice hacking partner if you could find a capable soul who just wanted the minimum involvement?
Trouble is, if he lives out then he's used to just that, re-homing might be a harder thing (for him mainly) as a lot of folk have the dilema (like myself) that one horse comes in at night and the other will not tolerate being left out. For example, Chloe used to live out at the sanctuary, but they said she'd be fine to come in at night in the winter. I think she's okay with it, but I felt horrid at first knowing I'd disrupted her life so much!. But I couldn't leave her out alone not with Storm fretting and her fretting if you know what I mean.
Sorry for the long waffle.........

Congratulations on your lovely free horse :biggrin:

I would find him his own person who will love him, care for him, lightly hack him while still living with you.

When I took on Mr Darcy the intention was to give him a home and try to find him some sharers who can enjoy him. But he will always have a home within my herd.

Oh, it is so nice to talk to people who understand!

You asked to meet Mattie and here are some pictures of him.

Lovely face:

Big handsome hoss:

With best mate Ziggy in my front garden!

He is liver chestnut and a lovely colour in the summer, like a conker. In the winter he is fluffy with Arab fluff and darker.

He's really lovely! Tbh, horses have a tendancy to "find" their rightful owners. Clearly Mattie was meant to be yours.

Incidentally, I have aquired a couple of extra waifs and strays over my horse owning lifetime and I have always found that the minute they officially become "mine" I fall in love with them - far more than when they belonged to someone else:D

If I lived anywhere near you I'd happily come and ride him and look after him for you so you would have the time for a baby, he's stunning!!

Oo-er he's a bit gorgeous isn't he?! Wowee!!

I agree, find a loan (but to stay at current home) home. That way, if it appears to be working well, maybe you could get that youngster? But don't (and I know you wouldn't!) underestimate how much time they take to bring on to develop into that 'perfect' grown up pony. Although actually I think you'd be pretty good at that.....

On the other hand, he wouldn't suit many people - he MUST live out, gets stressed without company, takes a long time to settle and is only suitable for hacking and schooling and the odd sponsored ride because of an old injury from when he raced (he is a French Arab ex-racer, big for an Arab at 15.2). And while he is a lovely, polite horse to ride, he is still an Arab, and if in doubt his tail just sticks up further and further and his paces get more and more and more elevated until he is practically floating :angel: so he might be a bit unnerving for a less confident (foolhardy) perkin than me.

Apart from the injury he sounds very similar to a horse I know that's got a home for life :inlove: why not advertise for a sharer? If you find the right person they may want to take him on full time...

He is gorgeous, but I'm going to buck the trend here and say you should have the horse YOU want.... Or at least, you should if Mattie does not have your heart and Ziggy does,and a baby hoss also would. If your horse is for life, then it is like a marriage (so to speak) and the Chemistry or affection or what have you needs to be right. It's an honour and a compliment to be given Mattie, but it also a life-long commitment and so you should not feel obliged to accept her, if it doesn't feel right to you.

newrider.com