So sad..poor little House Martins

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
So upset- this horrible wind and rain has brought down one of the house martin's nest and two tiny little babies with it.....they are struggling about on the decking in the rain, can hardly even walk let alone fly. Parents circling and very distressed. We have put them in a hay lined plastic box with half the top open hoping the parents might come down and feed them - but I think it might be a the end for them - OH is now taking some very tiny little bits of minced beef out to feed there them if he can, the parents have gone already :(

Can you put them up high somewhere? A barn or something.
The parents might have gone off to feed and return to feed up high.

We have put them up as high as we can to at least get them off the ground and where the parents can still hear them and reach them, but no sign of them sadly. :( Plus they are absolutely crawling with little flat grey parasites of some sort - I suspect that one way or another they are doomed. so sad :(

Poor little souls. I don't think they can walk very well anyway so their flying skills may not be so far away. We had a Swift land on the patio some years ago. It's claws were incredibly strong and grippy but it couldn't support its own weight. Flew off at speed when I threw it up. Your House Martins are late babies though aren't they? I would have thought their chances of survival were reduced already, but perhaps you have milder weather and more flies over there. Hope they make it.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Yes they are very late Bodshi and we did say a few days ago that we doubted they would survive as the swallows and martins are already gathering here ready to head off...perhaps the parents took one look at them and the nest on the ground and just decided it was time to go regardless. never had them so late - they have raised at least two sets of both swallows and martins this year so I guess statistically they have done well. doesn't make me feel any less sad though watching them chirping and shuffling together. :(

Reactions: Bodshi
Poor little mites, nature seems really cruel sometimes. It does sound like they didn't have much of a chance being such late babies, but it's still not an easy thing to see is it, poor wee things. :(

Minced beef and mashed cat food is what we were told to feed any dropped chicks.

Those sound like common bird mites just watch as they will bite you and they itch like crazy

Yes they are very late Bodshi and we did say a few days ago that we doubted they would survive as the swallows and martins are already gathering here ready to head off...perhaps the parents took one look at them and the nest on the ground and just decided it was time to go regardless. never had them so late - they have raised at least two sets of both swallows and martins this year so I guess statistically they have done well. doesn't make me feel any less sad though watching them chirping and shuffling together. :(
I feel so sad for them, why do so many bad things happen :(

They died overnight huddled together in the corner of the little makeshift home we gave them. Not a single house martin or swallow to be seen today - I suspect they have all gone now. RIP little chicklets. :(

newrider.com