So, that didn't go quite as planned ...

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Pete was supposed to be moving yards today.

We'd done loads of trailer practise - but decided that as he was still unsure about the back bar going up & he's travelled in a horse box a few times before, we'd play safe and move him on the day in a horse box.

One horse box hired & my brilliant instructor on hand to help - I wasn't too worried.

He was a bit reluctant at first, but he soon went on happily enough, was absolutely fine in the horsebox with the partition closed. We practised a few times, to make sure he really was ok. He seemed happy, munching his hay - next thing I knew, he had one leg over the breast bar, one leg over the side partition. He wa stuck for what felt like an eternity, but realistically was about 30 seconds. He eventually managed to jump over the side of the partition - scariest moments of my life (!!!) - and was as cool as a cucumber once off. He was actually quite calm jumping over - it's weird, not like he blindly panicked but if seemed very calculated. Thankfully, he walked off with just a few scratches to his leg.

We then decided to lightly sedate him, so vets came - don't worry they said, we've never had one that hasn't travelled well under sedation. The sedation didn't make a blind but of difference. The vets were amazed by his physical & mental strength ...! Just what you want, eh ?!

Pete's now quite happily munching hay in his old stable, where perhaps he'll be staying for the foreseeable future! He's currently talk of the yard for his 'quirky' nature ...

I'm now on the G&T - with the lorry hire, the instructor hire & vets call out fee ... It's been an expensive day to go nowhere!

Still, at least no one was hurt & Pete might be sore tomorrow, but his grazes are just superficial. Lucky all round, really.

My next hobby is definitely going to be tiddlywinks!

Reactions: Gimp
Oh dear. You deserve a drink! Glad he was okay and no harm done. Really surprised the sedation didn't work, we had to have the vet sedate Joe when he needed transporting to the horspital, he was quite a character but it did the trick and he travelled okay. So will you keep him there now? What an expensive day indeed.

Oh gosh, it's scary when they get over the partitions... thank goodness he DID manage to jump over unharmed.... not that that is much consolation to you! Secation is difficult when adrenaline kicks in, especially when travelling. My little yearling colt needed enough ketamine to knock out a horse more than double his size when he was gelded... and then afterwards took a very long time fighting to stand, way before he was ready thanks to such a huge dose. So sorry he's not gone anywhere. Is it too far to hack/lead?

Oh poor you. Monkey - obviously has no desire to be moving anywhere!

Enjoy your G&T!

Oh dear. You deserve a drink! Glad he was okay and no harm done. Really surprised the sedation didn't work, we had to have the vet sedate Joe when he needed transporting to the horspital, he was quite a character but it did the trick and he travelled okay. So will you keep him there now? What an expensive day indeed.

I guess so! It certainly doesn't seem to be something we can overcome in 2 weeks as I've paid until the end of the month on my would be new yard (although he doesn't seem outwardly stressed, I guess he must be when he thinks he's on his own otherwise he wouldn't try to jump?!) . Thankfully, my current YM is great & said I can keep him there as long as I need to - we've always got on well & the only reason I was moving, was distance from my new house.

Mum wonders if he was worried he'd be passed on again - he's been through numerous people before finding me & I've not travelled him since moving yards almost two 1/2 years ago & I'd not has him long at that point. Loading & travelling has always meant new people to him ... I don't know if they think like that or not though?!

Everyone was surprised the sedation didn't work - but I guess he's nothing if not quirky!

Good job we've got a sense of humour really!

What a nightmare, would someone be kind enough to lend you a good traveler to accompany him to the new yard? My old boy was a nightmare to sedate, if you tried after anything had happened it wouldn't work, you had to do it before trying then give it plenty of time to really kick in and he normally had a triple dose compared to a normal pony his size!

newrider.com