sodding road maintenance

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
Posys feet have held up barefoot really well since I got her in February. However just recently they have been redressing alot of the roads up here, and this time they are a horrible loose topping of the sharpest stone chips ever on the majority of her carriage route. They have destroyed my posys feet and caused a crack to, where a small fragment has buried in and traveled up the wall. She now has a touch of WLD and Wally managed to get the offending bit out. So have now bought a couple of pairs of hoof boots to try, I really didn't want to shoe her with the lovely now gaping hole in her wall ( shoe would seal it off and I wouldn't be able to effectively clean it. She has it cleaned out with a bleach solution and debris removed regularly and it packed when exercised to avoid any more bloomin chips to get in there.

Really sad she hasn't lasted full term barefoot, but shes really feeling the roads now. She will wear the boots when out when Mr Postman delivers them, and when her foot recovered from the nasties I will shoe her on the fronts next time round the farrier is up should hopefully time in just right, that is unless the boots serve her well. At least the foul smell has gone and I managed to catch it really early before its a taken a hold. Was just a very very small crack that gave it all away what was going on behind the wall. The size of the hole in the wall is horrible, just perfect for collecting stone chips in! Pics to follow

Last edited:
those stone chips are brutal, It's not like she can get on the verge in the cart...what little verge there is

She has a set of Boas to try ( came today ) and friend has some Old macs if thw Boas dont work out.

Would you believe it though we have had a major midgey attack this evening ( a very rare thing up here) poor Posy is seemingly really affected by them and she was not a happy bunny, I couldn't even get her to stand to pick out her foot let along try the boots for a test run! better luck tomorrow. Thank god shes not down south there is no way she would cope with midges! She was snorting, flinging herself round, rearing when asking for a foot. We smothered her in lotions and potions and let her back in the field so she could keep herself moving away from them! Poor girl, they just absolutely swarmed on her something chronic, Peerieman was fine!

Reactions: Jessey
Posy got shod today the visiting farrier was up, She had her fronts done. He cut back the crack and all nasties gone from beyond the hole ! She was good as gold and Im very pleased. She walked away over the hardcore quite happily :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I had to put a fly rug on her @Trewsers this morning in fear that she would be in the same mood as the other night for the farrier - which would not of worked !!! Worst midges ever since Ive been here, My neck came up the next day covered in bites I thought I had chikenpox when I looked in the mirror first thing! No wonder Posy was getting beside herself poor girl. I do believe she would be sweet itchy if down south.

newrider.com