Solved the mysterious tail itch... :( Dont look if eating!

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
She has a bite on her fleshy part (sorry dont know techy name!! She has managed to split the skin and it was bleeding today, I can only figure she was itching tail trying to itch this :( felt awful when I saw it!

16052010170.jpg

How long would you expect this to take to heal and what justifies needing stitches?

Still weeping today but not clotting type weep, no scab and is about 4mm wide most of the length of the cut when skin unwrinkled. Not bleeding though. I put antibac cream on last night more to soothe the skin than anything... just how long or should I be doing anything different?

If the vets would have stitched it then they won't be able to now I wouldn't think as it would have swollen, especially with you saying it now looks about 4mm wide. Any swelling means it can't be stitched as the would edges won't come together easily, hence stitching has to be done fairly soon after an injury. How deep is it? A bit of oozing I wouldn't worry about - it's probably constantly moving and might well not scab over at all, but just heal from the inside outwards.

Certainly from the photo it doesn't look bad at all, so just keep it clean and stick some antiseptic cream on like you have been doing. Just use plenty of it to stop the flies getting at the wound itself. I'd expect a big improvement in 2-3 days, though it would depend how deep the wound is.

Liquid plaster stuff can be useful as Ceiron said, but you have to be absolutely sure it's clean before using it (as it would trap any infection in), plus it stings like hell when you put it on (so prepare to get your head kicked in) ;)

A lot of them contain some kind of alcohol and, depending how concentrated it is and how sensitive the pony is, alcohol + open wound = stings. There are some water based ones now which would reduce, if not eliminate that, depending on the other ingredients.

Hiya,

I would leave it well alone. Aslong as its kept clean and allowed to dry naturally i think it will be ok. If you put cream and lotions and potions on things sometimes its not always best. The germs can breed more under the creams where its moist. So i would say leave it to dry up on its own. Poor girl. Abby does this alot as she has sweet itch and gets scratches everywhere! ;)

I would apply a thin layer of savlon or sudocream on it which should sooth the skin and help the healing. Poor little lady must have been so scratchy!

Its gotten worse today :(:(:(

I feel awful :(

Its still not bleeding, is clean and a very clean break - almost scalpel clean line - its swollen up and split wider between this morning and this evening. I think her snuggy hood might be making it worse, but I daren't unrug her... This is a nightmare *cries*

It must be hurting her too - Rascal keeps nuzzling, really gently, on her bum cheek - she never lets horses groom her and is now :(

It may well look worse as it's healing - if it's healing from the inside out then it can look worse but it's actually getting better. And if it was hurting, surely she'd have kicked Rascal into next week for touching near it, rather than letting him? Maybe they're just getting on better?

Is the Snuggyhood quite rough material? Because that rubbing it could just irritate it and make it more swollen whilst it's healing. You could do with either something over it that won't move (but plasters are a pain on horses) or something very smooth that will move over it but not rub so much, like nylon just attached to the inside of that bit of her rug. Or the liquid plaster stuff might be a really good bet as it would help reduce any rubbing.

Its the rough side of velcro, but none exposed when Ive checked, but it is a join in the rug. Was going to put this one on her tomorrow am as no under tail part, but its a useless fit and not sure if it will stop the midges enough but want her covered up. Her rambo just didnt give her enough protection compare to the snuggys. Think I need to get making my own rugs for her!

She has been sweating in her snuggy hood too :eek: as in wet running down legs :eek:

30082009268.jpg

(obv minus the blue lycra - will probably put rambo fly mask on or possibley snuggy hood under the rug in case it slips back)

i've been looking online at material to make a rug from scratch but need something stretchy, close weave, rip resistant and still breathbale. Unfortunatle fabric sites don't seem to have these search criteria! Ho hum.

Two days on from that photo and it looks like this:
19052010224.jpg

Another undertail bite shes managed to break open - this wasnt there at 6pm last night :mad:
19052010225.jpg

And three around one eye, two around the other eye - all of these have been cleaned up but were yellow and crusty with blood on them :( just dried blood scabs now
19052010232.jpg

19052010235.jpg

She's pulsing backwards and forwards, almost panting shes so hot - going to take her temp when I go back up in a minute and put her other rug on. But hey - shes not foot sore and no heat or pulses in feet haha.

Shes not hot this evening with the change of rug, but beside herself with itching because of the lesser coverage - was thinking that the snuggy hoods had turned into an epic fail... but realised they werent with the state she was in tonight - when I let her out she was having a mouful and stamping, walking about, rolling and rubbing tummy on ground, getting up having one mouthful and repeating all over again - despite rug, udder cream, fly spray AND baby oil on!!!!

She's off her feed, and pooping green but solid... and temp was normal.

I just stood and cried. :rolleyes:.

newrider.com