Some was going to buy Pax, how did it go?

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
Just saw Pax listed on ebay and it reminded me that someone put up a thread a while ago saying they had ordered some. Apparantly, it used to be used by by jockeys before it 'got lost' as a product around the time of the second world war. I just wondered if anyone here had used it and what they found.

I used to use it with my old horse and when I got back into riding tried to find it but couldn't - then it was relaunched and I bought some.

I think it is fab - I use it nearly every time I ride. It is an aromatic coaxing fluid and masks the smell of adrenalin so that your horse cannot detect you are nervous/scared.

You spray it on your wrists and apply to your neck and hairline before riding/handling horses. It smells very pungent - a bit like Vicks/eucalyptus/lavender.

Whether it is a placebo affect or not I think there is definitely something in it....

Sooty said:
Hi Ann :)
I bought some a while ago just because I was intrigued - have only used it a couple of times and didn't seem to have any affect at all ...
Interesting, thanks for that Sue. Fortunately, I don't feel the need for it, I'm just curious :)

Chickflick, its said to calm horses.

Mmm ..! maybe I'll need it when I begin to take the drama queen to shows - that and a stiff brandy for me :rolleyes:

really?
this sounds interesting (im ready to try anything with loopy-chops now)
where can i get some/how long would it last if used for a hack once a week/how expensive is it?
i wonder if any of my jockey mates have any....

My horse seems less spooky when I use Pax - less likely to look at silly things and so on. It helps me because I know when I'm wearing Pax it doesn't matter how stressed I feel the "smell" is not going to be detected by TC.

You can get it from www.paxhorse.co.uk, it costs £15 and comes in a little spray that will last months and months.

Horses don't need to smell to be able to detect anxiety. When you're emotionally anxious, it's reflected throughout your body. Your back gets stiff, you lock up your elbows and wrists, your legs tense up. You bounce more than you flow; your hands don't give the reins as the horse's head moves and your rein movements are more jerky; your legs swing because they're stiff instead of elastic. Your riding tells the horse all about your nervousness and tension.

I used to use Pax some years ago when bringing on our young Irish Draught horses. It doesn't stop a young horse from disappearing over the nearest hedge when faced by a tractor in a lane [:D :D ] but I think it did help in some small way in masking my own scent of fear afterwards. Problem is, horses don't just pick up your tension/fear from your scent, they also pick it up from your thoughts and your body language, a sort of telepathy, and no aromatic masking fluid is going to stop that. But yet it does calm a little.

newrider.com