Something a bit odd happened a few days ago .. should we be worried ?

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
OH was out with the dogs and a car was driving past ... skidded to a halt .. reveresed and was looking at Amber (our liver and white dally) .. the man asked what colour is she OH replied liver & white .. the mans asked are you going to breed her .. OH said no she is neutered .. man asked why neuter her .. OH said as we never wanted to breed she is our pet .. man stood for a while .. then started asking what age she was, was she healthy, what is she like with poeple .. etc .. then followed OH to the park staring at Amber and patting her etc .. then left and drove away ..

odd ... yes ? ... should I be worried :frown:

ETA .. he never even had a second glance at Jasper (my little collie x newzealand huntaway)

I would be worried but only because i watched a programme about stolen pets and how they do it!. Just make sure you are not followed home!

I'd just be vigilant.
Its a worry. Most of my dogs won't go to strangers luckily but a few of them would.
I have many gundogs and thefts of them are on the increase.
Would have said she was safe with her being neutered but guess there is a market for pets out there too.
I must admit I have approached people with a breed of dog that I really like and passed the time of day. Hell, they maybe thought I was planning to pinch their pooch!:redcarded:

not particularly.

Liver and white dalmations arn't too common so he may have just been interested and wanting to know if you'd have a litter so he could have one? When you said no he probably was just being friendly as he is having a job to find one?

I only say ^ because I probably come across like that and want to snuggle every spaniel i see and if there is a golden working one then yes i probably come across like a dog napper :redcarded: but i'm not one:smoke:

not particularly.

Liver and white dalmations arn't too common so he may have just been interested and wanting to know if you'd have a litter so he could have one? When you said no he probably was just being friendly as he is having a job to find one?

I only say ^ because I probably come across like that and want to snuggle every spaniel i see and if there is a golden working one then yes i probably come across like a dog napper :redcarded: but i'm not one:smoke:

well put. very very guilty of accosting innocent springador, working cocker and bullmastiff owners. all purely innocent but maybe have scared a few people.:redface:

There's no harm in just keeping your eyes open, but I would say you're probably fairly safe if she's neutered.

yeah usually once we tell people she is neutered they loose all interest :redcarded:,

but it wouldn't be the first time someone has stopped us and asked "how much do you want for her" :unsure:

What everyone else says really, you can't do any harm being vigilant, but then again, don't lose too much sleep over it. I know some folk can come across strange - but I am quite chatty about people's pets, and if I do come into contact with interesting or unusual dogs for instance, I do tend to be quite curious about them and ask questions! (Mind you, I really DON't look like a pet-napper - honestly!!!)
Try not to let it worry you.

I've had offers on my Flatcoat, and it's left me paranoid. If anyone asks his name I tell them a different one.

I would just keep a look out, and be watchful but he may have just been curious about her and thought to go home and look up the breed if he's interested in getting another dog.

Last edited:
I would just keep a look out, and be watchful but he may have just been curious about her and thought to go home and look up the breed if he's interested in getting another dog.

This ^^ I think - probably just someone who (like me) hasn't encountered many liver & white dalmatians and was intrigued by the different look. No harm in taking a bit extra care for a while though.
Have been approached several times myself whilst out with our Rotty, by people asking about breeding from him - he's a very goodlooking chap with a lovely nature but no longer has the necessary 'bits'. Shame really because I think he would have fathered some lovely pups.

newrider.com