Something SERIOUS to bear in mind

You sound like you are a sensible girl and know what is and isn't a good idea on these sites, HOWEVER many young people are naive by nature, and this is really not the point. In my opinion it is the responsibility of adults to keep children safe, it is NOT the child's responsibility to protect themselves, however independent they may like to think they are.

I see your point Joosie.

Further on from that, I believe children and teenagers should know the risks of the internet straight away - schools don't drill it in enough AT THE RIGHT TIME in my opinion. In year 9, we had a PSHE day on careers and stuff, and also included in that day was internet safety. Why don't schools educate internet safety in PSHE lessons from the very start - not reception obviousley... but when children get to that age where they start going on MSN and stuff... like year 6/7! Im not saying its the schools responsibility.. no no... but I believe they could help.:)

Some schools do. Ours encourages kids from year 4 to use the internet to help with work; but the first thing they do is teach them about internet safety. They're actually tested on it - my eldest two have brought home 'staying safe on the net' homework.

I no form experience the weirdos on the net...

and i no how people can hack into your computer!!

there is even a device on msn now that lets the other person who you are talking to control your computer!!

its a scary place..with scary people.. but not everyone is ..there agian not everyone isnt..!

i did a school presentation on this and kids were like yeah it aint gunna happen to me...everyone thinks like that..some people youu just cant tell..you have to go with your instincs..and trust me..it isnt just younger people who are targetted these days!

I have myspace and bebo. Dont really use bebo as its far too confusing but myspace I generally use for talking to distant friends etc.

Hardly anyone messages me on myspace now because my profile is private and I only add people I know or people who are friends of friends. Also use msn and recently changed it because of the amount of contacts I had, was becoming a bit confusing and people who I didnt know were talking to me all the time.

ETA- Our school is very good with things like chat rooms. NR was blocked within a couple of weeks of me logging in and out. Myspace, facebook and bebo are banned, as is youtube and clipshack. Everyone complains about it but I spose a network full of school kids all day, messaging strange people...

Last edited:
It could be easy to trace a lot of people on here. Lots of people post pics that, if you knew the local area, you might be able to work out where they were taken. It's quite scary really. It's just a case of actually thinking about what you are saying and not getting too complacent. It is easy to think of NR as just being accessible to the people who regularly post on here. But *anyone* could read it and you never know why they are.

See Megzii, I'm not picking on you btw, but you are a good example. Just from memory and about 30 seconds digging, I know your first name, your surname, your age, which town you are from, the name of your horse, yet you claim to be one of the more informed people.

As I say, I'm not picking on you specifically, as this would be the case with a handful of members I could name.

And right now, there are 295 users online, of whom 143 are members, and 152 are guests. Some of those will be bots - but even if you say half those guests are bots, that still leaves 76 browsers who can read everything typed here and about whom we know absolutely nothing.

It just serves as a reminder not to get too complacent.

See Megzii, I'm not picking on you btw, but you are a good example. Just from memory and about 30 seconds digging, I know your first name, your surname, your age, which town you are from, the name of your horse, yet you claim to be one of the more informed people.

As I say, I'm not picking on you specifically, as this would be the case with a handful of members I could name.

I no I no....:(

And right now, there are 295 users online, of whom 143 are members, and 152 are guests. Some of those will be bots - but even if you say half those guests are bots, that still leaves 76 browsers who can read everything typed here and about whom we know absolutely nothing.

It just serves as a reminder not to get too complacent.

what are bots?:confused:

It's quite strange actually, I had a bad enough moment with someone who actually knew me and I was "friends" with, it's all confusing cause I can't really explain properly...but, I went through all my posts etc and I know they are archived but I noticed how much stuff I gave away when I first came on here, I do give away silly stuff now but it doesn't seem like anything too bad when you are initially typing it.

*goes off to check her profile*

what are bots?:confused:

Things like YahooSpider which trawl the net looking for information - they are the reason that even if a thread has been deleleted it'll still show up on (for example) Google cache.

Say you posted a thread in cafe, which was gone a week later; if the Googlebot has cached it it'll still show up, complete with all information, if you click on cached results.

Then there are others which look for email addresses and so on.

eek, scary bananas really innit?

Ive deleted my Bebo and my Myspace - I still have facebook but I only have 4 friends on it as I only accept people that I know well and that dont have loads of personal info that could reveal my college or hometown.

Ive never used a chatroom and I dont intend to and i very rarley go on MSN - I must admit that I do have contacts that i dont know personally but Im VERY careful not to give my info out. I also got a special bank account for internet use.

I dont open emails if i dont know the sender etc etc, I like to think im reasonable careful.

Everything, short of her phone number but I could get you that in about 10 minutes with not much effort!

Very very scary. She knows who she is! I would recommend she changes alot off her social networking page - like take her full name off.

Sadly, it was a piece of cake. Ugh!

Fx

Talking of full names, it's things like people posting pictures of them riding and they have a personalised jacket on...eek, you have to think of EVERYTHING.

When you say "everything" Frances, perhaps it might be a good idea to say what sort of info you could access.....it may help some of our members to know what info could be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.

newrider.com