Something strange about the colour of this horse?

I can't see anything strange about it. It looks sort of mahogany bay in one one photo and dun in the others. The others could be clipped out though.

I can't see it either :redface: Bit of an unusual shade maybe but looks bay to me? Unless it's some kind of roan?

I *think* that if the horse doesn't have black points then it isn't technically bay... it is brown

ETA cross posted with NF... but I do think brown isn't too common in a horse whereas bay is very common

I havnt seen such a bright brown with the black mane and tail though usually more even through the coat mane and tail.

It is easiest to see on the flat work shot. Legs make it look like a chestnut, mane and tail make it look like it ought to be bay, though the very top of the tail at the rump is chestnut that quickly darkens to black. Not something I have seen before either.
Perhaps someone is trying to camouflage their chestnut mare! (Joking)!

How odd, if you go on the dealers site where she is for sale, she is the only horse where they don't state her colour!

She looks unusual to me!

I'd say she is chestnut though, in the 3rd shot looks like her tail is slightly red and I'm 4th shot her mane looks slightly red. Apparently chestnuts can have dark manes!

According to your very interesting colour chart NF, she could be primitive bay

Primitive Bay (Wild Bay, Faded Bay)
A primitive bay horse has markedly less distinct black points than a typical bay horse. Black on the legs in minimal and tends to be concentrated around the pastern, knee, and hock

The lighter colour in the pics is the colour my lad goes in summer, that really bright bay.

I do like that light colour Laura, one of my fave RS horses when I was a child was a similar colour, although I think she must have been a dun because she had a very marked dorsal strip (and dark legs). Does Kev have black legs?

Found this site when googling primitive bays - nice for anyone interested in colours as it shows examples of real life horses (some beautiful ones too)

I do like that light colour Laura, one of my fave RS horses when I was a child was a similar colour, although I think she must have been a dun because she had a very marked dorsal strip (and dark legs). Does Kev have black legs?

Found this site when googling primitive bays - nice for anyone interested in colours as it shows examples of real life horses (some beautiful ones too)

Black legs but no dorsal stripe, not dun, definitely just a bright bay, but it's got a yellow/chestnut tone to it. I'll try to find photo's.

newrider.com