something wrong with my lad

NuttyMare

Woody Be Mine
Aug 5, 2003
England
s7.invisionfree.com
There is something wrong with my boy :(

He has been dragging his hinds for a few days, which I was keeping an eye on because of his history of pelvis problems. Tonight it was even worse, when walking over to me in the field he had to stop and then carry on, he kept trying to roll but couldnt yesterday morning in the field, which I thought was just down to stiffness, but all the pieces are linking together now :( He is walking very strangely and dragging his right hind in particular along and turning it out slightly, when I run my fingernail over where his pelvis is he seriously dips and rests his back leg, it is worse on his right side.

I have left him in tonight as he hasnt improved with day and night turnout (i just thought he was stiff at first when he dragging his hinds and walking differently for a few days, as he is out of work at the moment due to a naff fitting saddle)

Given him some bute and going to see him in the morning, dont know whether to keep him in or not...Dont know what has happened...The vet is coming out on Monday anyway to vaccinate him but they have been next to useless about his muscle and joint problems, so i think they will just say box rest and bute him up :( Off to email my physio but I am gutted. Hugs and vibes please! Anyone got any advice?

Hugs are not a problem,seding them to you and your bo:)y right now.

As for advice am not sure TBH,my first thought when reading was stiffness like you thought,but then you mentioned previous pelvis problems,so am assuming it is more likely to be that??

The bute won't hurt,and it might help.

If you think your vet's will be un-helpful,can you not use a different vet??
Know that is not always easy,but they don't sound very good if have let problems go on before now and not done anything useful??

Hope you sort something out and your boy is a bit more himself in the morning,holding a good thought for you both:)

Hey, I'm wishing you all the best too. Crikey, it's just soooo horrid when you can see something wrong - you think all the worst things. Try not to, and deffo get another vet in if you aren't happy. You don't have to be loyal to a vet, just your horse. Best wishes ey.

I would get the vet out tomorrow. Tell them you cant wait till monday. They are doing the vaccs anyway so you've nothing to lose and at least you can rest easy over the weekend.

I have a chiropractor regularly visit mine and if they have any lameness or excess stiffness I always call her in preference to the vet.

My old mare came in from the field a couple of years ago with a stiff neck, she couldn't get her head down below 2" from the ground or turn it to either side, she even had trouble chewing her food. My YO suggested that she had done some serious damage, be prepared for the worse and call the vet asap. I called my chiropractor out she did some adjustments, suggested that she may have slipped in the field and fallen heavily on her side as she had to adjust from head to toe. She was back to her old self the next day and at her suggestion I was riding her again two days later.

It's worth a try, good luck, I hope he is better soon.

Island Girl is right - chiropractors are far better at this sort of thing. Whereabouts are you? I know an excellent chiroprator but she's based in Essex. Just a thought - has your boy ever suffered with locking stifle? Sounds a bit similar x

having previously owned a horse with sacroilliac joint problems I can understand how you are feeling.It does sound like it could well be his pelvis.If you stand behind him and put your index fingers on the point of the hip each side you should be able to feel that both sides are level.If they are not then there is definitely an issue somewhere within the pelvis.Another test would be to turn him in a tight circle and his hindlegs should cross over.If they don't this would again point to a problem.I agree that you are right to get your physio out as soon as possible to look at your horse.I would also agree that keeping him in and giving him bute for now is a good idea.If your physio can't come out to you then I would call your vet as it does sound like your horse is in quite a bit of discomfort.

Echo what summercandy has just posted. My pony was recently diagnosed with sacroilliac joint disease and what you describe is similar to the way my pony was moving; though not quite as dramatic.

I had chiropractors / physiotherapists and vets all look at him and, to be honest, all the podding and poking were pretty inconclusive. I just knew there was a problem and so sent him for a bone scan to find out for certain.

Good luck.

newrider.com