Sometimes a little unlevel behind....

izzy18

Aug 21, 2004
Up North!
Visit site
I took part in my first proper dressage competition last week on one of the RS horses where I ride. We did really well and came 4th with a score in the 70s (for Intro A) so I was happy! Anyway after the initial excitement wore off, I sat at home reading through my sheet in more detail and noticed that one of the judge's comments was "nice active trot but sometimes a little unlevel behind".

What does this mean? Does it refer to lameness of some sort in the horse, or is it something I need to correct in my riding that might cause this? I didn't get chance to speak to anyone about it at the time, but was planning to ask my RI at my next lesson. She (the RS mare) is stiffer on the right rein than the left - could it be related to this? :confused:

Some RS horses if a bit stiff can be slightly unlevel behind if not really ridden forward. it is not generally as far as being lame but just legs not moving in rhythm.

Sorry to hijack, but I was told that in my last showing class today that my pony was a bit stiff in his hindquarters....would riding more forwards solve this then or is it stiffness that would be helped with a joint supplement?

Sorry to hijack OP but really asking the same question as you :)

Hey laceyfreckle don't worry, I don't mind! :)

I'm really interested to see what people think. The mare I rode (I lurve her!) sometimes doesn't work properly from behind (or rather I don't ride her well enough to allow her to do it I guess :eek:). She's quite forward-going and I have to relax and try to contain her energy rather than ask her to go forward then let it all out of the front end, if you see what I mean!

Thank you eml by the way, that's interesting to know. I was quite tense too as it was my first proper competition, so that probably didn't help.

Often horses thought of as forward going are the very ones you need to push on a little as riders often 'back off' resulting in the horse not really tracking up or working properly from behind...think in terms of creating energy with your legs, holding the horse in rythm with your seat and containing excess forward energy with a soft hand and half halts.

Laceyfreckle... hard to tell without seeing you and horse...does the stiffness come at all times ie when hacking out as well as schooling or showing.... straightlines or just turns??

Often horses thought of as forward going are the very ones you need to push on a little as riders often 'back off' resulting in the horse not really tracking up or working properly from behind...think in terms of creating energy with your legs, holding the horse in rythm with your seat and containing excess forward energy with a soft hand and half halts.

Laceyfreckle... hard to tell without seeing you and horse...does the stiffness come at all times ie when hacking out as well as schooling or showing.... straightlines or just turns??

I think we're probably what you described in the first paragraph. The stiffness you can occasionally see in the field first thing in the morning...just seems slightly slower to place his hind legs but not lame or anything.

Ridden wise, tends to do it more often when he's tired, particularly if schooling on circles. Also has a tendancy to do a silly sort of trot that has a lot of movement but only really up and down, can be pushed through that most of the time. On the lunge he will also do it if he's been working a while but think some of it might be lazyness? We haven't hacked for quite a while as he is a bit silly hacking so not sure about that one. Forgot to say but he's been checked by physio etc
Might have a vid that shows it, will have a look

Thanks so much eml, that's really helpful - much appreciated.

I think I spend too much time thinking she's already going forward enough when she's kind of only really pulling herself along with her front legs, if that makes sense? I sometimes feel like she is rushing so I don't think so much of keeping my leg on.

What you said above sounds just like us -I will practice on Tues at my next lesson and see how I get on. My RI has mentioned that I need to push her on more but not let it all out the front door, so that fits with what you said too, although the bit about holding the horse in rhythm with my seat is new to me - I will have to explore this further! Thanks again.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time with riders working on changing the paces by how they sit, trot is the easiest to practice, slow, low quiet rises slow horses down, energetic faster rises speed them up, after a while you can do all transitions and control paces without touching your reins or conciously moving your legs.

If you couple slowing your rising, thinking 'slow' thoughts and using half halts in time with your 'sit' while keeping your legs 'velcroed' to the horse you will be surprised how calm they can become while actually producing a better quality trot.

newrider.com