Sore bum!!

Beth2004

Feb 24, 2004
Southampton
Hi all

Love this forum, everyone is so friendly and helpful!

I am 31 and have been riding for nearly a year now, about once a fortnight, and I am LOVING it! I've just started cantering which is great.

My problem is that I always have such a sore bum after riding! Not muscular sore, but bruised from the saddle. I appreciate that this will probably improve as my sitting trot gets better and less bouncy, but in the meantime its very painful and I have to stay off the exercise bike at the gym for days after each ride LOL.

Does anyone have any tips to help with this? I am wearing jodphurs by the way.

Thanks
Beth :)

as for aftercare .... have a hot bath straight after your lesson and put some deep heat cream on the next day (which will sting like hell initially but makes it better in the long run!). and dont worry, once youve been riding regularly for a while, the bum will sort itself out :)

julia
x

A saddlesaver...or a different horse... ;-) How long do you ride at each session? How much is sitting (canter/trot) versus rising/walking? I'd be suprised if it gets so bad on a normal 1 hour lesson - I only noticed agonising pain when I went on an all day ride (5 hrs)

aj xx

Get a Heather Moffett Seat Bone Saver, they are great, We have them built into most of our saddles, it's high density, slow recovery memory foam, so it moulds to your shape and cushions your seatbones.

It all comes from old fashioned saddle design, some saddle seats are set seats made with wool flock and made hard and un yeilding, the more modern ones are plastazote, shaved to shape and this is a high density foam with very little give in it, the leather is then stretched tight over it making it like a bouncy drum so it makes you bounce and does not give an shock absorbing properties at all. If your bum is sore, just think how the horse's back feels. You'll find seat bone save is the best money you ever spend, it fits on all saddles and takes 60 seconds to fit.

Heather Moffett actually got such painful swelling of the bursa in her seatbones she had to stop riding, and Heather is no novice, she invented the seat bone saver so she could ride again...so you are in good company, shows your seatbones are doing the work they should be.

When you think about what the horse will suffer too, a HM seat saver will be one of the best things along with a good hat you can buy, its also a great aid for balance and can save you from many a silly moment;)
Some members here use theirs for all maner of use too, and me;)

I just got my HM seatsaver and will be trying it for the first time today. My lower back tends to get sore after riding, and I am hoping that the seat saver can help. Sorry...didn't mean to highjack the thread! :)

Hi Beth,

I have no great solutions for you, but I do know what you mean... I'm normally only able to ride 1X per week, in an hour long lesson. No matter what exercises I do during the week, I find I almost always have a bit of inner thigh soreness for a few days, and often a sore bum. I find it depends a lot on the horse I've been riding. A horse with a smooth trot...no bruising the next day. The really bumpy ones...I've ended up with my skin split in very uncomfortable places :eek:

Yesterday was my first time on a very large, big strided TP. Very bouncy. Nice for posting. So of course we had to sit the trot...and sit without stirrups, and sit some more. I asked for a break when my bum went numb :eek: Today what's really bothering me is my lower back :( (as I was trying to absorb the motion there, rather than bounce).

Hot baths, and more "core" exercises, I guess :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Grace

sore tail bone

Hi, I guess I'm in the right place. I'm mature . . prob. more mature than most and I have a sore bum!! I recently took up horse back riding lessons after many years. We are learning to sit the trot and I think I have now agrevated an old tail bone injury!! PAIN! I don't want to give this up as it is wonderful for my mental health! Any suggestions?
Shirley

Ok, I am officially endorsing the seatbone saver. I also had been experiencing lower back pain. I've lately been riding 4 times a week, and hot soaks, ibprofin etc only give temporary relief. So I was looking on this site and found the seatbone saver (Wally has posted the link) but they didn't ship to Hawaii. I did find the HM seatbone saver at another site and they did ship it...I used it for the first time yesterday and it was amazing. My instructor chose yesterday as a sitting trot lesson, so I did sitting trot for about 40 minutes. Couldn't have picked a better test then that! Anyhow, my lower back and tush felt just fine, and today I am also fine. It really made a difference and was money well spent. :)

Originally posted by Alle
Ok, I am officially endorsing the seatbone saver. I also had been experiencing lower back pain. I've lately been riding 4 times a week, and hot soaks, ibprofin etc only give temporary relief. So I was looking on this site and found the seatbone saver (Wally has posted the link) but they didn't ship to Hawaii. I did find the HM seatbone saver at another site and they did ship it...I used it for the first time yesterday and it was amazing. My instructor chose yesterday as a sitting trot lesson, so I did sitting trot for about 40 minutes. Couldn't have picked a better test then that! Anyhow, my lower back and tush felt just fine, and today I am also fine. It really made a difference and was money well spent. :)

Could you post the link to whoever sells them in the US or will ship to US addresses? Especially the version for western saddles? I'm miserable today after Saturday's lesson, and I'd like to look into this possibility.

Sorry for thread hijacking :eek:

Grace

Originally posted by Grace O'Malley
Could you post the link to whoever sells them in the US or will ship to US addresses? Especially the version for western saddles? I'm miserable today after Saturday's lesson, and I'd like to look into this possibility.

Sorry for thread hijacking :eek:

Grace

I got it from here, and it came pretty fast too. Its down towards the bottom of the page. I don't know if they have a western version at this place though.

http://www.saddlersdirect.com/stockpages/numnahs.html

Good luck!

Thanks!

Thanks all for your helpful advice and suggestions :)

I am going to see how it goes over the next few weeks, as the pain is not stopping me enjoying the riding at the moment, and see if it improves as my srtting trot gets better. If not I will invest in the seatbone saver - it sounds great!

Thanks

Beth :D

Have you checked the saddle surface for any stray lumps or bumps? I decided to get an HM seat-bone-saver when i started riding a school horse with a lumpy saddle - right under your right buttock. Worked a treat, and there's only one saddle I can think of now where I don't use it. I've also found that its helped my sitting trot improve - the suede finish gives you a more secure seat, whilst having a little "impact absorbance" in the foam reduces the bounce....

(btw - I promise we're not on comission :D)

Last edited:
Hi! I returned to riding after the birth of my second child about 18 months ago, and suffered exactly the same problem after each lesson. Mine was down to poor position etc,. My instructor suggested I buy a HM seatsaver, which I got from my local saddlery. It was one of the best investments that I ever made! Now that my position is fine, I don't use it so often, but always have it with me just in case. I also think a contributing factor is the type of saddle etc. Unfortunately, riding school tack is not always as good as we would like it to be!!:( :)

Heather.

I have an Acavallo gel seat saver but I'm still getting problems with a sore coccyx, does anyone have any good tips to help? Would a HM seat saver be better? :)

I have an Acavallo gel seat saver but I'm still getting problems with a sore coccyx, does anyone have any good tips to help? Would a HM seat saver be better? :)

I have an HM seat saver and love it. I sometimes have friends come over to visit and if they ride my horse they always say how comfortable the saddle is. It makes such a big difference and it also helps in those tricky moments where we have had the odd spook, leaping to the side etc and I have stayed on :D

Reactions: Taffie
It is possible to get rubbed etc just be doing too much of sitting trot etc in one lesson. My RIs always said they wanted to be told if I bled or got sore.
Posture and horse and saddle all come into it. But tell you RI and do things in moderation.
I have a problem suddenly as am hacking a spooky horse. He jumps sideways. I havnt fallen off yet But have bruising to one side of my bum.

newrider.com