Sore calves from stirrup leathers

Radrach

Jan 29, 2018
Hi I am so glad I stumbled across this site. I have issues, mainly with my left leg only, of my leather hurting my calf muscle when I ride. It feels like it is twisted and rubbing on my leg when in fact it isn’t twisted at all. Sometimes my foot goes numb on that side as well if I go for a longer ride. Any clues pls?

Do you ride in long boots or chaps....or just jodhpur boots? If the latter, get some chaps and they won't pinch.

Do you ride in long boots or chaps....or just jodhpur boots? If the latter, get some chaps and they won't pinch.
Hi I do just ride in jodhpurs boots because I’m just returning to riding and due to my calf size find it hard to find long boots that fit. I’m planning on going road riding and hacking out with my girl. Thanks for your advice

A bit of both really. Prob the pinching is the worst part. Jodhpur boots as I find it hard to find long boots that fit
Get some half chaps, they fit with your joddy boots and protect your lower legs from pinches and rubs, you can get them in all sorts of width fittings and they are normally elasticated so I find them more comfortable than long boots :)

Yep chaps required;) you don't have to invest in leather ones if you're just returning - synthetic ones are cheaper & protect just as well and can be elasticated too:)

Yes, deffo get some chaps, there are all sorts of sizes, widths and lengths. My absolute faves are neoprene Muck Boot chaps which I picked up last year at Your Horse Live for a mere tenner! They are lovely and stretchy, waterproof and protect my lower leg from stirrup leather pinches!

If its only one side you might want to treat yourself to some tlc and go and see a chiro/osteo/physio! :)

The very cheap option for short term is thick long socks over the top!

(One of my old instructors said she was made to ride in shorts/jeans and short boots to keep her bum and legs still when she was training in germany - apparently it worked after a while!!)

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Half chaps with you jodphur boots definitely. I used to get black bruises down my legs with only jodphur boots, where the stirrup leathers pinched.
Don't know if you can still get them but I have a pair that velcro all the way up and of a suede type material. But there are lots of zip ones in different sizes. Maybe if you half big calves try a men's size.

Chaps for sure but it sounds like more is going on with you having numbness etc. I have sciatic nerve problems and I get the numbness to if I am in the saddle for a long ride, I really sound go and see a chiropractor!

i have had the same issue even with long boots on, i have a problem with my hip on that side. A check up with a physio would probably be helpful.
I now use offset stirrups so the leathers hang flush, which has solved the issue.

newrider.com