SORRY...I must be driving you nuts

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
......cos I Am getting on my own nerves let alone yours....

Just call me Miss indecisive !

Cliff is now back in with the Shire, she has contacted me today to say how well he is settling and how she is now bonding with him, what a character he is and how he makes her laugh.....all things I know about him anyway bless.

She has posted some really nice pics of him and is obviously caring for him and now able to catch him lol, spending some time with him.....He looks as though he has lost a little weight, but maybe thats to be expected, all a bit stressful for him initially....

Half of me thinks Aw, he is settled, she is now seeing him for what he is, which is a lovely characterful little
traditional colt AND part of me is screaming...what you doing...get him back

ARGH"............

I still feel selfish if I get him back....WHY...do I need/want three horses...but part of me still has some concerns...what if the shire keeps going lame, what worst scenario he is never gonna come good, would she keep Cliff or would he, worst worry, be sold on......

He looks happy enough to be honest and I will go see him Monday or Tuesday...but I look at his photos and think....Kay what on earth possessed you to think of parting with him anyway......I have missed him so much....my reasons for doing this have NOT changed but I also realise none of the reasons are insurmountable, anyway will try
and post the pics .....

I am running in circles here !

Last edited:
PICS :smile:

Attachments

• CLIFFY BOY.jpg
    CLIFFY BOY.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 46
  • CLIFF 2.jpg
    CLIFF 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • cliff 3.jpg
    cliff 3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
  • CLIFF 4.jpg
    CLIFF 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 50
Truthfully? To me you don't sound at all convinced that you want to do this, so bring him home. If you have doubts now but go ahead then I don't think you'll find it easy to forgive yourself if it goes wrong further down the line. :twins:

I understand where you are coming from. I am hopeless at getting rid of horses but very good at collecting them:tongue:

Trust your guts, if it dosen't feel right get him back. Don't question, just do it.

I have read all your posts about Cliff and my initial reaction is that you want him back. Sometimes there is no reason or logic for wanting something in your life, but you obviously have a very deep connection to him and you want to remain in control of his life. Get someone in to loan him from your yard where you can keep tabs on things and oversee his progress. If you were ready to let him go, you wouldn't be so concerned about him both now and in the future.

lol I look at him and think........yeah he is getting prettier, but still an ugly little munter.......BUT he is MY Ugly Little Munter :bounce:and I guess I never thought I would miss him half as much as I do..........:wink:

I guess the saying 'you don't realise what you have got until its gone' is true in this case, although he hasn't officially GONE.......

and you are right MP there is no real logic in it but I don't think I can bear
to part with him........maybe if the first week hadn't been so disastrous I would have felt differently, I don't know, but I do know that although I do feel Selfish, cos I really do in lots of ways, if I am totally honest, hand on heart I cannot bear the thought of losing CONTROL over him and having no say in his future.

I have parted with Horses in the past and each one has been long thought out and hard to deal with, but each time I have known 120% that I have done the right thing for them, I just don't feel like that this time.........its not really anything to do with 'L' either, cos she is lovely and tbh I am sure he would have a good home, I just feel more and more certain his Home is meant to be with me............and Sioned and Bert and I want my little 'three Amigo's' back together !

fairlady, I've been following you on this, and getting the feeling you don't want to sell him - to her anyway.
Her indecisiveness certainly isn't helping.. one minute she can't handle him, the next, she moves him because he's too much for her young shire with the leg problem, then puts him back (goodness knows whether he knows he's coming or going!)..
I find it all confusing, I can only imagine what this is doing to your head, I say go and get him, you'll feel tonnes better :wink:

Go get your boy back :smile:

Who knows what the future will bring but right now you don't sound ready to let him go...maybe he will be a forever pony :biggrin:

For what it's worth, I firstly don't know how you can say he's a 'munter' he has to be one of the cutest little guys I've seen.
Secondly I think you know in your heart that you want him back, I don't believe for a moment that you are being selfish, it's very evident that you love him dearly and I think that you should stop beating yourself up, stop umming and ahhing and just go and get him back. x

Go and get him! You wouldn't be umming and ahhhing if it were right.

This ^^^ .... the horses that have left me to good homes, have always felt right. I`ve kept in touch, had no qualms or worries, and have always asked for first refusal if they ever can`t keep them for any reason. A couple have come back to me, and this way i feel i can secure their futures.

I think you need to tell her you don`t think it`s working. I don`t think hers is the right home for him, and this is why you can`t settle, there are too many uncertainties in his future. Not to say you`ll get him back and keep him forever and ever etc ..... just until you feel happy for him to move on, and more importantly 100% happy with the home he`s going to. Xx

FL, you say your reasons for selling have not changed, but in a way they have. You now want to keep him and are prepared to deal with the issues.

The trial period was for both sides. L may be happier now than in the first week, but you are not. Just don't let it drift on much longer, in case Cliff gets really attached to his new companion. I'm sure L will understand, and will be able to find another companion for her boy.

Well I have made the decision and he is coming back, I misunderstood that he was back in with the Shire as it would seem he is still on his own, in fact just confirmed it by txt. She says she thinks it has done HC some good as he hasn't had Tom to cling to........I beg to differ and think it's important he mixes with others and not just over a fence ! She also put on FB that he is very Coltish......????? Maybe he has got a bit coltish in a few weeks will have to see but I suspect he is just a bit full of himself from being on his own with nobody to play with!

I have no real issues with keeping Horses on their own, have had to do it myself for various reasons through the years occasionally, but not one as young as this.....

Going over Tuesday now as she is away tomorrow and gonna break the news to her, would rather do it face to
face tbh than via txt or phone, then hopefully pick him up Wednesday......think she will be upset as she is starting to bond with him and although I appreciate I have no crystal ball to look into his future if he stays there, I just feel there are too many uncertainties for me to be happy signing him over.

Plan is to move him to the new yard with Cooksters gelding then have him cut as soon as the Vet will do it, or he has dropped, whichever is soonest,
should Sioned and Bert go up there before he can be cut we will double mains electric fence them apart.

Last edited:
Keeping horses alone is altogether wrong and I don't care what anyone says, no-one will ever make me change my mind.

You are doing the right thing. Yes, it is good for them to learn to be alone, in a stable for a few hours, out on a hack, but out at grass is their time in my opinion, and horses are not singular animals.

Well done you for having him home.

Well I am relieved now I have made the decision....

My last post should have read he will be cut, if he has dropped as soon as the Vet will do it lol, or will be done as soon as he drops ! Bit misleading what I had typed !

Until then he will be in with just Basil.

Once cut and all clear they can all go in together unless Sioned and Bert start to put on too much weight then they will have to be restricted and he will stay in with Basil.

Bailey wasn't cut until 2 and a half FL, he never behaved Coltish until towards the gelding.. if he hasn't dropped yet, don't worry, put him in with Bert if you need to, it's better he has some male company to keep him sane, Sioned should cope better being older than him x

For what it's worth, I firstly don't know how you can say he's a 'munter' he has to be one of the cutest little guys I've seen.

lol, KR its what I named him when he arrived...... he is certainly getting prettier and TBH I think Cookster was right, he is our SWAN...........

I don't care anyway, he seems to have won me over hook line and sinker even if he isn't quite the prettiest, is over at the knee and cow hocked at the back at the moment........shall just be delighted to get him HOME :wink:

Don't think the Vet will geld him until Autumn if he has dropped by then anyway DS because of the flies.

But he will be fine in with Basil, already knows him and has grazed with him before, they both need the grass where as Sioned and Bert don't. In fact I have to say I have been relatively strict on them both and Bert, although still overweight, looks the best I have seen him for a couple of YEARS...........I looked at him the other day and thought 'OMG he has lost so much weight' then thought 'Actually Kay, that is how he SHOULD look' lol, but not so sure he agrees with me :)

Last edited:
newrider.com