Spanish riding school

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What are your thoughts? Just been reading an article in Horse and Rider. I know its a long established place but I don't know if that makes it "right". The horses never see turnout - well that is the impression I got. Yes they are in peak condition and no doubt form strong bonds with their riders. But, they seem to lead a very un-natural life. What is your opinion? To me they seem to lead a circus horse type life? Not saying the riding displays and skills aren't amazing, just that I feel a bit sorry for them when they are taken from the hills where they are bred and made to lead a very un horsey life.
Apologies if I have mentioned this before but the article prompted me. And yes I realise racers and police horses and army horses get no turnout but they do seem to have variety - eg racers travel as do army horses and I know the army ones go on holiday too.

It irritates me to hear if any horse being provided with limited turnout. I don't care how much folk say 'yes but we put a bit in their mouths and saddle on their backs so were already not allowing them to live naturally.' Does that mean we just go the whole hog and don't allow them any resemblance to their natural ways? Grrrr.

It irritates me to hear if any horse being provided with limited turnout. I don't care how much folk say 'yes but we put a bit in their mouths and saddle on their backs so were already not allowing them to live naturally.' Does that mean we just go the whole hog and don't allow them any resemblance to their natural ways? Grrrr.

I know - its not a like for like comparison is it? Yeah bits and saddles are not natural but we do our best in other ways. I just think its a weird existence for them to never have any freedom like our horses do.

newrider.com