Stübben cord girth

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I just bought one of these to try on my girthy boy.

When I was riding as a girl these were made out of what I can only describe as fine string, and they were quite narrow. Imagine my amazement when I unpacked:

IMG_2889.JPG

So wide! So thick! So soft!

I have no idea how he will react to it - it might be a bit wide - but I'll put it on him today and see what he thinks. I can always sell it after if it's a fail.

Reactions: Jessey

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
They're a vast improvement on the old string girths, you do need to wash them regularly to keep them soft though. Most horses seem to like then and they're great at keeping a saddle stable without having to overgirth. Little Un didn't like it, but that was because he had a whorl on his girth line and experimenting showed that he was only happy with a completely smooth material.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
They're a vast improvement on the old string girths, you do need to wash them regularly to keep them soft though. Most horses seem to like then and they're great at keeping a saddle stable without having to overgirth. Little Un didn't like it, but that was because he had a whorl on his girth line and experimenting showed that he was only happy with a completely smooth material.
Well they are not expensive either, so if he likes it I will get another and he can have one to wash and one to wear!

Reactions: carthorse

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I used to ride a very hairy sweaty cob for someone in one (hence why I know they do need regular washing) and there was never a problem with hairs catching or pulling. He sweated less under it than he did other girths and it was the only one his owner had found that didn't give him girth galls if he was doing much work. Yes it caught on Little Un's whorl, but he was so hypersensitive about that that leather was the only thing he was happy with.

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Stubben cord girths are a bit "Marmite" for horses. Some love them and some hate them. I used to have one for Cherry, some 15 years ago now. She hated it.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I used to ride a very hairy sweaty cob for someone in one (hence why I know they do need regular washing) and there was never a problem with hairs catching or pulling. He sweated less under it than he did other girths and it was the only one his owner had found that didn't give him girth galls if he was doing much work. Yes it caught on Little Un's whorl, but he was so hypersensitive about that that leather was the only thing he was happy with.
i have an old stubben leather shaped girth that i used on the cobs. they didn't seem to mind it at all, as it was very soft.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I had these for Raf. He liked them to start with but something went wrong and I stopped using them, I can't remember why.

It may have been the washing - first time I washed one I put it in the washing machine, on quite a gentle wash, but it shrunk (I can shrink anything 😂 ) So I got a couple more but hand washing them was a pain - they absorb so much water - and drying took forever. I ended up with a few of different lengths, even though they all started out the same.

Really good for keeping the saddle in place though.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I had these for Raf. He liked them to start with but something went wrong and I stopped using them, I can't remember why.

It may have been the washing - first time I washed one I put it in the washing machine, on quite a gentle wash, but it shrunk (I can shrink anything 😂 ) So I got a couple more but hand washing them was a pain - they absorb so much water - and drying took forever. I ended up with a few of different lengths, even though they all started out the same.

Really good for keeping the saddle in place though.
Sounds like my efforts washing knitwear i have some that would fit a child......pity i quite liked them.....

Reactions: Bodshi