STABLE STAINS ARRRRGH!!!

J.Ems

Jul 9, 2016
Lancashire
Hi guys!

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

As we have discussed on the grooming thread on this board, I naughtily bath Diego like 2-3 times a week, because he is so grubby! He is piebald but he is mainly white... only a couple of black bits! And he is the muckiest boy in his stable! He sleeps FLAT OUT every single night without fail. He always has bedding all over him including in his ears and on the side of his face every night. Whilst I do think this is mega cute... it means he lies in his own poo/wee and is FILTHY every single day. I take him up to train at quite a posh yard twice a week for lessons, and I do like him to look his best anyway. Mud brushes off but these brown/green stable stains just won't budge without being washed. This wasn't an issue in summer as his previous owner used to hose pipe him and shampoo him a few times a week too. But obviously, I can't continue this throughout winter!

I've tried to eave him au naturelle.... but its driving me mad. He doesn't smell good, he is utterly FILTHY.... so I just don't know what to do!

Any tips? In terms of keeping his white bits white without a full on bath!!!

Thanks! xxx

What is your bedding? Some is more absorbed than others.
Use a thin cotton sheet with a neck, that should solve the problem, use a neck cover when turned out.
Dry shampoo on the really stubborn parts if any.

I have spray on shampoo, for white coats... but its not ideal. It needs washing out still. After he's clipped, he's going to have a full necked rug day and night. He's not rugged yet and he's sweating in his stable so needs clipping very very soon!

He's on a mix of Easibed and Easipet (so half chippings half powder) x

Yes they sure do.
The lycra show rug is cheaper, does the job. Plus it's a plain colour.

Don't bath him. It is unfair this time of year. You will be mucking around with the essential oils in his coat that he needs to keep him healthy, warm and waterproof.

If you train in a yard where a dirty horse is sniffed and looked down upon, I would seriously think again.

It is not about how you and your horse looks. It is about how you ride, train and care about your horse.

(just my two penn'orth)

Cowboy Magic Greenspot Remover is good for poo patches. If you really feel the need to wash him, just do the dirty areas and get some soap flakes from Auchegree Clydesdales. Dissolve in hot water, apply solution with a sponge and the stains will come out in seconds and need minimal rinsing compared to shampoo (think about shampoo rinsing out of your own hair compared to how quickly soap comes off your hands).

This is my boy bathed with plain ole soap flakes....

FB_IMG_1467559416593-800x533.jpg

I read on another forum about a brush designed to get stains off white horses I plan to buy one for Grace for Christmas. At present it is still warm down here so the stained places get sponged off with water.

Cowboy Magic Greenspot Remover is good for poo patches. If you really feel the need to wash him, just do the dirty areas and get some soap flakes from Auchegree Clydesdales. Dissolve in hot water, apply solution with a sponge and the stains will come out in seconds and need minimal rinsing compared to shampoo (think about shampoo rinsing out of your own hair compared to how quickly soap comes off your hands).

This is my boy bathed with plain ole soap flakes....

View attachment 83807

Brilliant! I've actually just bought some of this today :D xxx

newrider.com