Stable toys

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Does anyone's pony play with stable toys that don't involve food?

I give her tea in a ball and hay and straw in small holed nets to try to keep her occupied over night.
I feed as much ( more than) as I can as she is a good doer. As long as she has a bit of straw left in the net or on the floor I am happy and know she is not going hungry. I can't give her toys that involve food but does anyone put in a stable ball one similar and see their horse play with it?

Stable toys are a bit expensive so don't really want to waste money!

When I kept mine on livery the lass whose horse was in the next box made toys for hers to play with and she did seem to use them! I can't just remember what she made them with, but I know her pony played about with them. Can you look on ebay for some? You might pick something up a bit cheaper - as you say they aren't cheap and if yours ends up not being bothered it's a shame to waste your money.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
The only one any of mine liked was a milk bottle with stones in hung in the stable, makes a God awful noise but some seem to like it :p I brought hank a little yoga ball for 50P at a car boot, he rolled it round the first day then never touched it again so I'm glad it was cheap! he prefers an empty bucket to throw around :p

Reactions: Trewsers
Mine were never actually stabled - had in and out but I like the milk jug with stones idea.
I agree with no food thing.
Andi had a big party for her 3rd birthday and the barn I had her at for some training got her a hanging treat ball - well it supposed to last a good while - she managed to eat most of it all in one nite:eek:

Reactions: Trewsers
Sox likes his lettuce :) Currently sox is liking the carrots in his snack ball ad I have recently hung a leadrope up and threaded carrots threw it :) Hiding carrots in haynets is another good one :)

Just seen.. doesn't involve food..Hmmm sall have a think

newrider.com