standing at the mounting block

Vee

Dec 8, 1999
Lincoln, Nebraska
Visit site
I'm still having trouble with my horse at the mounting block (which unfortunaely, I do have to use).. He approaches it quietly and in a straight line as I walk up the 2 steps holding his bridle. Then as I stand there, he steps sideways and is too far away for me to get on. If I use a whip to tap his off side and move him back to the block, he gets upset and dances around. No good since I'm still standing on the block!
If someone stands beside him, he'll be just fine but there's seldom anyone around to help in this way.

I've been just stepping down and leading him back in the same process over again till he finally stands still and close to the block and I mount. I'm hoping that by doing it again and again till he does it right and then praising him a lot, he'll finally get the idea that I won't give up. He's 17, should know better and I'm pretty sure is just trying to scam me a bit.

Advice? Am I making the problem worse by repeating the process again and again till he obeys? It sometimes takes 4 approaches to the block before he'll do it the right way.

Vee: In general, you do not make an animal's behavior worse by repeating it until he gets it right and then praising. You could make it worse by trying a few times and then giving up. Be very determined that once you get him to the mounting block, you are getting on, no matter how long it takes. Are you holding a crop when you mount? Perhaps this is making him skittish? There may be other reasons for his behavior-tack or pain?
I think you're on the right track.
Good Luck
Susan

Well, I think you'll just have to do it and keep doing it. Some horses are bad because they think it's fun when you make them do things, but DON'T quit with this horse, or else he'll learn that he can just leave if you can't get on. If you decide to sell him, it might only make the problem worse for the next owners. :) Hope it helps!

Vee, my horse tried that maneuver at various times when I first got her. In her case, she actually turned around and GRINNED at me, I swear! Well, the more I would lead her to the block (this was for bareback; I don't need a block w/saddle, as she's only 15.1hh), the more she would delight in stepping away with that malicious horsey grin...well I stopped laughing too after more than 4 tries, and gave her lead shank a good quick tug, and looked into her eyes and said, "OK, this is BS, you will stand. And she did. I did not raise my voice or anything, just let her know that the fun and games were over as far as I was concerned. It was really hard not to laugh out loud if you could have seen the look on her face! My point I'm attempting to make is that, at least w/my horse, we could've walked to that darn block a hundred times, and she would have stepped away each time; until I got more firm and decisive about it myself. I'm fortunate in that my horse is very sensitive, and also mostly sensible, so I've never had to resort to physcal measures. (I have on occasion, however, used reverse horsey pyschology! :D )

Vee- just wanted to let you know you are not the only one with problems. My mare Calypso is only 15.2h, but she likes to walk away when I am mounting. I ride her bareback most of the time, and I can actually jump on from the ground most of the time, that is, untill recently. A couple weeks ago, she decided it would be fun if she put her head down every time I jumped. I don't know if you've ever tried to jump on bareback, but it is nearly impossible if the horse puts his head down. Now when I jump on, I have to hold my reins tight enough that she can't put her head down.

I also had similar problems as you with the mounting block. She would walk up to it lined up, then as soon as I climbed up, she swung her reaer end away. I eventually learned to deal with this by simply putting my leg on her neck and sliding back that way. She was less than pleased to see that her ploy had failed, but once she realized I could get on anyways, she stopped moving sideways.
That may not work for you, it really just depends on your horse. Anyways, good luck.

Allie

I have a 22 yrd standardbred gelding who does his lil side stepping thing when we approach the mounting block.. well bench actually ;) but I found some big orange codes (like the kind they put in the road) and I lined them up a few feet away from the block, then I just kinda "parked" Timmy in between and he stood there long enough for me to hop on :) You could give that a try maybe..
Good luck!
Julie

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm glad to know that my horse isn't the only one that does the "Mounting Block Sidestep"!

The last 2 times I rode, it only took a second approach after he stepped away the first time. Maybe I'm sending a clearer message but I did yell QUIT when he stepped away last time. Guess I was just irritated at him but it did come out in a pretty forecful way...

I have checked his tack and back for sore spots, too, so I 'm reasonably sure this is just a test and a little attitude from the old guy. He'd came to me 3 months ago, very underweight and is now quite fit so he's probably a bit full of himself.

Thanks again. This site is SO helpful!

newrider.com