Standing still

Hi To begin with it might be easier to tie him up so that he can't move till you have mounted. This should get him used to the feeling of having to stand when you are mounting him. Next progress to trying to mount without him tied up, if he stands give him a small treat how ever if he moves stop and start all over again. Make sure he is standing before you try to mount him as well. How good is he at just standing for a long time when your riding him particually out on hacks?

Hope he impropves Vez xx:)

Congratulations you must be very excited! My part loan girlie has a habit of walkabouts when I mount, infact, she quite likes it when I forget to tighten up the girth, try to mount, the saddle slips and I hop alongside her, lol!!

I just take her back to the mounting block and start all over again. If she moves, I do the same until she is fed up with it. It works after about 4 times!! How about using firm voice controls as well, 'S T A N D' - I think calm assertiveness works wonders! Failing that, tie her legs together, lol - no only joking!!

Train the horse to stand quietly away from the mounting block (ie when led, tied, groomed, tacked up) then progress to standing quietly at the mounting block, then to standing quietly whilst you put one foot in the stirrup, then as you put your weight in, swing your leg over, etc etc.

It's on my clicker training cards, although his nibs has never been bad to mount. We've got him standing whilst led, and whilst tied, and I'm going to start reintroducing grooming. He gets bored easily, and when his attention wanders, he tries to as well, but the CT keeps his focus on me and what he needs to do to earn another sweetie. I have to say I didn't think it would be as good as it has been.

Hi Jenbee

The last thing to check before mounting is that your horse is standing square; that is, her feet need to be level (not one in front of the other). That way she will be balanced and not so inclined to have to move when you rise into the saddle.

Also, if you try to get her used to standing by a mounting block, she may be better. It's sometimes just the weight of the rider as you step into the stirrup which causes a horse to move initially; thereafter it becomes a habit.

Each time she moves just act as if nothing happened, set her up again and try to mount. If you make a fuss about it she may turn it into a game.

Hi To begin with it might be easier to tie him up so that he can't move till you have mounted. This should get him used to the feeling of having to stand when you are mounting him. Next progress to trying to mount without him tied up, if he stands give him a small treat how ever if he moves stop and start all over again. Make sure he is standing before you try to mount him as well. How good is he at just standing for a long time when your riding him particually out on hacks?

Hope he impropves Vez xx:)

Ditto that!

I also have a 4yr T/B X. I've also had the same problem, and today was the first time I've mounted, and he didn't even attempt to move!:D
I know its not ideal to mount while they're tied up, but my boy is really good at standing quietly while tied, so I just pull a chair up (not where he can fall over it easily though!), and push him over towards it, and ask him to stand.
The problem I had, was every time I got on the chair, he moved away, and I'd have to get down again, and push him back round:eek::p.

Once on, I take my time, so that he doesn't get used to racing off, as soon as I've sat down, and he gets loads of praise for standing there:).

I'd just like to say, he's only tied to a thin bit of bailing twine, so if he freaks, it breaks really easily.

Have you got any pics of your mare?

take the reins up in the oppersite hand and bend her head slightly away from the side you mounting with-- once learnt she will stand quietly and not move off

I wouldn't tie up

Hiya,
I personally wouldnt tie your horse up it just encourages the horses natural claustrophobic tendencies.
My bolshy great CBX with severe cold back would not stand still at all if you walked anywhere near his isde when he was saddled, it took ten minutes and a handful of pony nuts (not recommended but necessary for my horse!) to solve the problem, heres how i did it.
I lunged him first just a couple of minutes on each rein to warm him up then brought him in, i didnt touch the reins just put one hand in the stirrup and push slighlty down, if he moved, i went with him, only releasing the pressure when he stood still (he got pony nuts at this point too!) he pretty quickly got the idea that he needed to stand still!
next i put my foot in the stirrup and repeated, this takes a bit of hopping but they get it pretty fast. Then i got on and if he went to walk as soon as i was on i started all over again. now he stands still only moving to square himself up and doesnt move until i tell him to.
Also try doing it from the 'wrong' side as this breaks routine!

im a bit of a natural horsemanship lover so i dont really go for forcing into submission, making him understand it was his choice to stand still but making sure staying still was the better option worked far better!

Good luck
Kadie

I was told to keep the offside rein quite short when mounting, also if carrying a whip have it over the withers along with the reins so that they are out of the way to the offside. Although even though I have this advice, I have to admit I still struggle :eek:

My last horse did this, he would go sideways just as I was getting a foot in the stirrup which made for some very comical moments for me. Each time he moved as I went to mount I would get off the mounting block and walk him in a tight circle around it, stand him at the block again and try again - we usually repeated this about 4 times before he actually let me on and then I gave him lots of praise and let him reach around for a polo mint. After a while he got the message and would stand nicely for me. I now have the same problem with my new horse, only he takes a few steps back instead of going sideways so we are trying the same process.

Oh, sorry i did mean to add if he stands still when tied up for being groomed etc because thats what my friend had to do but i don't want you to do it if its dangerous and also I didn't mean in a really restrictive way either!( sorry i realise i should have said that! :eek:)

Vez xx

hola
i've had problems with mounting horses before as well...
the think i've found most effective is holding the reins nice and tight - try to mount and if he/she won't let you take her reins and make her spin around in tight circles

horses hate circles and once they realize that they are bringing it upon themselves they will most likely quite moving
good luck :D

newrider.com