Started doing carrot steatches today

Anro

Boo!
Jan 4, 2007
Ireland
I startded doing carrot streatches today with Merrylegs.
took her about ten mins to realise i didnt want her to back up:rolleyes:
so i only really did streachng towards her tummy which took up all twelve carrot pices:rolleyes:
anyway i was wandering what way do yo cut up the carrots?
do yous not go through alot?
is there a good website you would recomend?
(i found one but forgot to save it:eek:)

thats a coincidence... i had another play with carrot streches today, havent done them for absolutely ages!

i broke my carrots in half - i got through the bag :eek: waitrose finest and all, dont you know!

we are also not very good realising we're not meant to be backing up or turning around... i posted here ages ago about it and people recommended working alongside walls and things to help.

good luck! :)

ETA - i also cannot spell stretches! going to leave the spelling mistake in though cause it made me laugh!

What are carrot stretches?:eek:

I've always thought them to be when you basically use a piece of carrot (or several;)) to encourage horse to stretch muscles in its neck and back, quite a lot like horsey yoga? Merlyn LOOOOOOVES them, would probably do a somersault if I asked.

Like I start with showing him the piece of carrot , and then pulling it back to his shoulder, right back, and he stretches back to get it (no moving/turning around allowed).

I like to do both shoulders, both knees, towards his stifles, up above our heads and (our personal favourite) between his front legs. Takes about 10 mins, great bonding, and he thoroughly enjoys it. He's a windsucker too, so is always mucking up the muscles in his neck/poll, so these really help (he's got a beautiful outline) :)

Sorry for the essay :)

Last edited:
Red loves carrot stretches and cottoned on fast ;)

I tend to the carrot lengthways, never cut them in round circles like you *may* for your roast dinners etc cause they can get lodged in your horse's throats and they will choke!

Normally, i entice Red with a huuge carrot (for extra enthusiasm :p) and then hold for 2 seconds, then bring the head road to relax the muscles, then reward with a smaller piece of carrot or a (sugar free :D) polo!

newrider.com