Started with a limp

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
So we were having some schooling sessions with our pony.. he was fine until just about to finish and he started to limp... nothing to much as my 10yr old was riding and he was walking and trotting..
as she got of he seemed to be limping on his left hind leg. No obvious injury of slip in field... I checked his hoof and no stones... no obvious swelling or redness

many suggestions for managenent as he’s my first pony

Is there someone experienced at your yard who could have a look at him? Something like this we can't give any useful ideas from you saying a limp, at the very least I'd want to see a video and if it was more than slight I'd want to see him in the flesh and have a feel. Your best bet is to get someone to have a look and see if they think he's ok, needs a few days off, needs a farrier or needs a vet.

How is he today @Loveslayla ?

Ahhh thank you for asking about Archie...

He’s still lame on his back hind leg... more so on slow movement... once in an active walk he seemed ok and trotted ok... but could tell it looked stiff

One of the experienced owners who I spoke to seemed to agree likely a pulled muscle.. I think what he’s done Is slipped as when he was stretched out to wee the grass that’s long and slIppy and slightly wet He’s pulled himself. She watched him move.

I had a good feel... from his hind quarters down to his hoof... couldn’t feel any heat and he was happy with me touching it all over so no obvious tenderness.

I’ve made his grazing smaller so he can’t charge around as much

Hoping with a bit of rest he’ll recover. If not I’ll be getting the vet to him ( he’s due his vaccines this month anyway)

X

Reactions: carthorse
He certainly trotted over to me quickly when I got the treat ball out ( I give him this when his field buddy goes out as he gets a little stressed on his own - keeps his mind of being alone)

Id give him a few days off. Maybe just short in hand walk to help ease any tension, but if hes out and moving around anyway he shouldnt seize up.

I typed above reply yesterday, must have fogotten to click post reply.
Good idea to restrict the paddock a bit temporarily too.

Id give him a few days off. Maybe just short in hand walk to help ease any tension, but if hes out and moving around anyway he shouldnt seize up.

I typed above reply yesterday, must have fogotten to click post reply.
Good idea to restrict the paddock a bit temporarily too.

ahhhh thanks for replying ...

Yes he’s on few days off now... I wonder if he knows by limping he gets time off (haha he is crafty and lazy )

Will be going up later to check him over again will walk him around and have another good feel of the leg and hoof. He’s out 24/7 now so he’s free to move... just not charge around. He needs the restrictive paddock as he’s getting fat with all the grass.

Had to cancel a lesson today which I am gutted about but I don’t want him to be worse off..

x

newrider.com