starting a horse

Skye08

Starting a youngster really! A lot i know on my farm are broken at 2 1/2 my mare is longreined and has done a bit of lunging, we has sat on her and had tack on her... She isnt bothered in the slightest should i break her at three and turn her away?? Or just break her and school her on? I have different point of views thrown at me iin all directions and i'm just "wondering" really...

NO, she's physically FAR too young and her bones wont be able for it. The bones in a horses knee only close over at 4 years of age, and the last bones in their body to mature are the vertabrae (back bones) which only mature from between 5.5 and 8 years of age).

There's a scientific explainataion of this here:

http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.html
You can do all the other stuff - getting her out & about, leading, loding, pickgin up feet, meeting cars, general handling, bicycles, but I wouldn't either lunge or or put any weight on back until she's much older, its just too risky :)

here's another article on lunging :)

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.c...linformation&action=display&thread=1195740744

best of luck with her :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be sitting on a horse at 2 1/2 its FAR too young, even if she doesn't seem to mind, its not about that its about bone growth etc.,

Lunging is also one of the hardest things we ask our horses to do and again I would not be attempting to lunge a horse until it was at least 3 or preferably 4. Long reining is not so bad. I also have a 2 1/2 year old, he will be 3 in June of next year. I am sort of planning, if I think he is ready as he had not had much handling, to lightly back him come the Autumn and turn him away for the Winter allowing him to grow and mature, then bring him back into some light work the Spring of the following year. If I don't feel he is ready I will not even back him until the Spring of 2009. There is no point in rushing it to then have to do it all again at a later date if they throw an immature wobbly, you have to allow them time to 'be a horse', grow and mature. I know there are people breaking in 2 year olds (race horses excluded as they seem to come under different rules) but be sure these people will have problems in years to come. Take your time, enjoy the process, it will pay dividends come the end of the day. There are endless other things that you can work on such as Manners and Ground Work and these will all help build the bond for the day you do hop on board.

some Race horses race at the age of 2! i think as long as its only siting won't do that much damage in the long run although i would wait a while to break her in.

lets face is most competition horses are broken before they are 3 and lead long cometetive lives.

if you break her in at 3 and half or so, when her front end is level with her back end, and just hack out and do gentle schooling until shes 4. then i think she will be fine. get a good trainer just to keep an eye on you to make sure your not doing too much.

i think that waiting until a horse is 5 or 6 before breaking in is unreaslistic and unnecessary, unless the horse is a 17 hh ID or something that matures very late.

the thing that is important is that the horse is physically mature enough (eg front end is fairly even with back end, is mentally ready for it and that they are telling you they want to get on with it!)

My Haflinger was ready for slow gentle backing at 3 and a half but shes 4 and a half now and we are only starting tiny jumps now and any 'proper work'. I was going to consider turning away but shes just keen to keen busy and tho I would still do it if she told me she needed it, she hasnt yet.... My YOs Welsh D is 3 and a half plus a bit but shes still maturing a lot so isnt being backed yet. If I had an ID youngster I would back it at 4 but then leave it for some months before doing anything much with it because of the slow maturing of the breed. My IdxTB grew almost 2 inches after we got him at nearly 6.....:)

so its very much down to the indiv horse but I dont think anything is mature enough to be backed before 3 1/2

Lunging is not great either, partly cos of the strain, and partly cos having done join up with mine she thought the eye contact she saw when lunging was me sending her away - cue lots of exciting times in the school and me dangling on the rope. :eek:We did longreining instead! But a year on, weve returned to lunging and shes fab at it.:D

laura go with your gut feeling not what everyone on the yard thinks. Reached the point myself where so long as Peter and Rhi are happy don't care what anyone else thinks. Hope you had a good xmas a scarlett got lots of nice things. Wish your mum and dad a Happy New Year from me

What breed is your youngster?

Flat racehorses are broken young but jumpers don't start jumping untill four at least where I worked anyway...

Typically I'd handle them on the ground getting them used to leading, long reing, tack, picking up feet etc before 3yoa. I definitly wouldn't lunge before 3-joints can't stand it. Long rein using the bit to progress mouthing towards end of year.

Turn away over winter.

In the 3rd year I would back and do basic flatwork. Just 10 mins max of walk and trot on the lunge with no rider just saddle, bit in mouth but lunging off the cavesson. I would only ride 2-3 times a week and long rein in between times. Start loose jumping.

Turn away over winter.

Fourth year start riding proper, jumping etc.

Mac was broken at 3 and he has splints in both legs:( when he arrived in August he was 3 and 4 months and we did nothing more than walk with a little bit of trot in the field.

I have turned him away for the winter and will start riding again in the spring, however I am not competitive and Mac will have a very easy summer hacking around the beaches and lanes. We may do some schooling once a week/fortnight. I may then leave him over the winter again as he will need time to grow again as he will be 4 and a half coming into winter.

He is very chilled out since I stopped doing anything with him. I'm hoping he will be ready.

I wouldn't start a horse personally a 2 n a half. When my boy was 2 n a half the only thing i done with him was walk him in hand out on the roads to get him used to sights sounds and traffic, do some in hand showing and most importantly grooming and getting him used to being touched and handled. I broke my boy this year and he was 4 years and 7 months, i waited until i felt that he was mentally and physically mature to cope with being ridden.

I have read that horses bones do not fuse until they are 3 and a half.

I personally feel that hopefully my boy will be ridden for the rest of his days 'touch wood' so why not let him enjoy his youngster days out playing in the field.

I wouldn't let what other people do with their horses sway your decision, its when you feel your horse is both mentally and physically ready.

i didnt mean break er at 2 1/2 i meant 3 1/2 and shes id x tb and extremely mature physically aswell as as mentally she has an "old" head on young shoulders as you would say, but i understand with the bone thing. we do a lot of walking out and manners and join up and shes fine to her i am "herd" leader and thats it basically

Thats good, my boy at 2 n a half was still acting like a baby. What your doing know is really good, my boys a welsh c x dales, natives mature slower than a horse thats hot blooded or got hot blood in them...as you know. I know in Germany they start their horses at a young age. The westfalians that go up for auction are being ridden at 3. I think it comes down to opinion. I think its a 'chicken and egg' situation...lol

When you do decide to break her if you feel its the right time for her go for it:)

http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.htm. Dr. Deb Bennet

The Schedule of Growth-Plate Conversion to Bone

The process of converting the growth plates to bone goes from the bottom of the animal up. In other words, the lower down toward the hoofs you look, the earlier the growth plates will have fused; and the higher up toward the animal's back you look, the later. The growth plate at the top of the coffin bone (the most distal bone of the limb) is fused at birth. What that means is that the coffin bones get no taller after birth (they get much larger around, though, by another mechanism). That's the first one. In order after that:

Short pastern - top and bottom between birth and 6 months.

Long pastern - top and bottom between 6 months and one year.

Cannon bone - top and bottom between 8 months and 1.5 years

Small bones of the knee - top and bottom of each, between 1.5 and 2.5 years

Bottom of radius-ulna - between 2 and 2.5 years

Weight-bearing portion of glenoid notch at top of radius - between 2.5 and 3 years
Humerus - top and bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years

Scapula - glenoid or bottom (weight-bearing) portion – between 3.5 and 4 years

Hindlimb - lower portions same as forelimb

Hock - this joint is "late" for as low down as it is; growth plates on the tibial and fibular tarsals don't fuse until the animal is four (so the hocks are a known "weak point" - even the 18th-century literature warns against driving young horses in plow or other deep or sticky footing, or jumping them up into a heavy load, for danger of spraining their hocks).

Tibia - top and bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years

Femur - bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years; neck, between 2.5 and 3 years; major and 3rd trochanters, between 2.5 and 3 years

Pelvis - growth plates on the points of hip, peak of croup (tubera sacrale), and points of buttock (tuber ischii), between 3 and 4 years.

And what do you think is last? The vertebral column, of course. A normal horse has 32 vertebrae between the back of the skull and the root of the dock, and there are several growth plates on each one, the most important of which is the one capping the centrum. These do not fuse until the horse is at least 5 ½ years old (and this figure applies to a small-sized, scrubby, range-raised mare. The taller your horse and the longer its neck, the later the last fusions will occur. And for a male - is this a surprise? - you add six months. So, for example, a 17-hand Thoroughbred or Saddlebred or Warmblood gelding may not be fully mature until his 8th year - something that owners of such individuals have often told me that they "suspected)

Significance of the Closure Schedule for Injuries to Back and Neck vs. Limbs

The lateness of vertebral "closure" is most significant for two reasons. One: in no limb are there 32 growth plates! Two: the growth plates in the limbs are (more or less) oriented perpendicular to the stress of the load passing through them, while those of the vertebral chain are oriented parallel to weight placed upon the horse's back. Bottom line: you can sprain a horse's back (i.e. displace the vertebral physes - see Figs. 5 and 8) a lot more easily than you can displace those located in the limbs.

Here's another little fact: within the chain of vertebrae, the last to fully close" are those at the base of the animal's neck (that's why the long-necked individual may go past 6 years to achieve full maturity - it's the base of his neck that is still growing). So you have to be careful - very careful - not to yank the neck around on your young horse, or get him in any situation where he strains his neck (i.e., better learn how to get a horse broke to tie before you ever tie him up, so that there will be no likelihood of him ever pulling back hard. For more on this, see separate article in this issue).

Last edited:
The ID in the IDxTb means that while the horse is prob big! it will def not be a fast developer in terms of balance, joints etc and prob wont stop growing until 5 or 6.

For that mix of breeds, def dont do anything substantial riding wise before rising 4 would be my instinct. My 1D xTb didnt stop growing till he was 6 rising 7 - he arrived as a 16.2 and turned into a 17h :D

some Race horses race at the age of 2! i think as long as its only siting won't do that much damage in the long run although i would wait a while to break her in.

... hence the insanely tiny proportion of them that go on afterwards to lead successful, healthy lives. :eek:

newrider.com