Starting a new horse business

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I used to be a youth worker and I now own ponies so combining the two I am going to start doing Party Ponies childrens parties.Using Sweep ( loves little children) my bombproof shetland as the main attraction.I can do face painting, organise childrens games etc.

What do you lot think?

Last edited:
Theres some one near here that does the same thing. Make sure you have the right Insurance and a security check to work with kids also a First aid certificate (tell me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs). You could also offer horse themed party bags handed out from the horse. Great Idea. Found this site on the web.
http://www.pony-parties.com/bookings.html

i have just put the idea to the OH ... however he is not keen on the idea ... apparently we need a trailer to move them, pay for insurance, get another more child friendly pony (june has previous with nipping annoying kids!) oh and im not very child orientated! however for 150 an hour i could be persuaded!!!

think its a fab idea you should go for it! :wavespin:

Theres some one near here that does the same thing. Make sure you have the right Insurance and a security check to work with kids also a First aid certificate (tell me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs). You could also offer horse themed party bags handed out from the horse. Great Idea. Found this site on the web.
http://www.pony-parties.com/bookings.html

I have been doing a check list to include all of the above and that link is great it gives me an Idea of what others are doing, so thank you.:biggrin:

i have just put the idea to the OH ... however he is not keen on the idea ... apparently we need a trailer to move them, pay for insurance, get another more child friendly pony (june has previous with nipping annoying kids!) oh and im not very child orientated! however for 150 an hour i could be persuaded!!!

think its a fab idea you should go for it! :wavespin:

I have everthing baring a current police check and insurance. so it woulld be easy to start for me.Plus I have years of experience of working with children :biggrin:

I think it's a lovely idea. :D My friend and I did a pony party for her daughter's 10th birthday, they groomed and plaited and rode, and did all manner of things that I wouldn't dare do now in the UK! (They rode in the back of the quadbike trailer as we blasted roung the fields..... :eek:)

I think the adults had as much if not more fun than the kids! ;)

I don't envy your insurance premiums! :eek: Hope they don't hammer you too much. Sad world..... even the riding schools have no insurance here.

A really fantastic idea, NL! I'd have LOVED that as a child :biggrin:

DD - that isn't a bad idea, at all!!!!! You should explore it further! :biggrin:

We where thinking of using Jack for Indian Wedding as I have been told its traditional for the groom to arrive on a horse OH is looking into it. The only problem with grown up parties its not just pop and fruitshoots being quaffed! I could do pony rides for the type of gent that likes to dress up as babies in their spare time after all Flora is like a giant Shetland:biggrin::tongue:

As a teacher and fellow out of hours youth worker- through the day these questions came into my head... I am sure you have thought of them but am curious to the answers! Sadly all due to dreadful level of litigation these days.

How big a back up crew will you have working with you... some parents will leave you to it all having been to kids parties.

What will the legal adult to children ratio be- though that would probably depend on the age of the children. Will the children's parents fill in a consent form to take part?

Where will the venue be? If not at yours will the place fit health and safety requirements and be fully risk assessed? For children, ponies and yourself...

Still l do love the idea though! Sounds real fun!

Last edited:
We where thinking of using Jack for Indian Wedding as I have been told its traditional for the groom to arrive on a horse OH is looking into it. The only problem with grown up parties its not just pop and fruitshoots being quaffed! I could do pony rides for the type of gent that likes to dress up as babies in their spare time after all Flora is like a giant Shetland:biggrin::tongue:

That is so funny lol. there you go a business for you ;-)

I think it's a lovely idea. :D My friend and I did a pony party for her daughter's 10th birthday, they groomed and plaited and rode.

Now if it was just about the grooming and plaiting then Flipo would be your perfect horsey model for kiddies. Imagine being paid to let someone groom my horse, sounds like bliss. Could have kiddy parties before I ride every night and then wouldn't have to deal with his flippin hair.

Good idea NL just hope it doesn't get stuck in all that red tape. Keep us posted.

newrider.com