Starting a yard?

MustLoveHorses

Apr 17, 2006
East london, South Africa
OK was wondering what processes were involved when you are starting up your own livery yard, so anyone who has a bit of time and knowlege, please help me out!:)

What do you need to do in terms of Safety Regulations, Insurance (is it compulsory?), staff, horses, facilities etc?

If anyone knows of some of the costs involved, please do tell!!!

Hope you can help:p;)

I have no idea, but can I just say that a livery yard, unless it's very well run and large, is rarely a very profitable business. My old YO made just about enough to keep her own animals but no more, and the yard I was on before that (20 horses or so) also made very little profit and struggled to keep going. Anyway, thought you were of studying hun? :)
I advise against setting up a livery yard - it will cost a fortune to purchase or rent enough land and stables to set up a yard that is big enough to make a profit, and most of the YOs in my area have another job as well in order to keep things ticking over.

Insurance (is it compulsory?),

YES. Good grief, of course its compulsory - what would happen if you were not insured and there was a fire, as a result of something YOU'd done? All your liveries would sue the pants off you and you'd go bankrupt. Or what if one of your liveries is riding in your field, and is badly hurt or even killed? You have to be insured to run a livery yard, yes. That would really be your biggest out-going.

Facilities - well, how long is a piece of string? Fields, stables at a minimum but then there are schools, walkers, secure tack rooms, etc. Assuming you don't already own a suitable farm or piece of land, you'd have to find a suitable yard to rent, which is likely to be extremely expensive, and would really eat into your profits. i have to say that i personally would not move to a yard, however nice it looked, that did not have a decent-sized all-weather school, that was lit so it could be used after dark. Again, having a proper school is another expense and it will affect the amount of council business rates that you pay.

A member of staff or two is helpful if you want to offer any more than pure DIY livery. If you employ someone you have to pay tax and NI on their wages, plus you will need further Employers' Liability Insurance.

Since it is a LIVERY yard, you don't really have to do anything about acquiring horses, i think you'd find they'd come to you ! When you look at all the costs and downsides, you start to realise why most YOs are barking mad - you have to be, to want to do the job !

LOL! I can appreciate what you guys have said - must be a lot of trouble...

HashRouge, I was asking for future reference as that was what I was thinking of doing - but now that you guys have had your say, I may be a bit more cautious of just waking up one morning and saying "I think I'll start a livery yard today!" :D

Gruntfuttock - sorryI posed that question in an idiotic way: What I meant to ask was, do you need to have some kind of insurance for your liveries? (don't know how to put it in words oh dear!:eek::confused:) Like if one of them gets injured, is it mainly the responsibility of the owner? Would I be in any way liable???

I'm now just asking for interests' sake - maybe being a Yard Manager at a good facility would be best. ...

Developing a thick skin is also a must! I can see both sides of livery yard life - and to be honest, most YO's must have skin like rhino's! They need to - as a lot of the time they get pestered at all hours and hassled 365 days a year!! (I can only speak from experience, but there might be YO's out there that don't get much grief!)

The laws in UK are completely different to South Africa so all the above would not necesserily apply. Call Old Mutual or someone like that and check the status. East London may also have different laws to say Cape Town Joburg or Durban. Each council will regulate to a certain extent as well.

When I last rode over there, there was no such thing as rider insurance, only third party so you were at your own risk, even in riding schools.

Liveries normally sort out there own, but you need to have proof that they have it.

The laws in UK are completely different to South Africa so all the above would not necesserily apply. Call Old Mutual or someone like that and check the status. East London may also have different laws to say Cape Town Joburg or Durban. Each council will regulate to a certain extent as well.

When I last rode over there, there was no such thing as rider insurance, only third party so you were at your own risk, even in riding schools.

Liveries normally sort out there own, but you need to have proof that they have it.

Thanks alot karen - I'll keep that in mind for the future :)

newrider.com