starting an ex-race horse

What stage is she at the moment?

Is she straight off the track? Has she had any time off? Has she had any 'riding horse' training since she stopped racing?

What are your experiences of schooling horses in the past? Have you ever started any youngsters?

curiou_mare said:
Hi I'm starting an ex-race horse (thoroughbred). I was wondering how other people have gone about it. How do I bring down her head, slow her down, and teach her to bend. thanx :)

My own horse raced til he was 12yrs, re-schooling takes lots of patience, start from scratch and find a good dressage instructor, what area are you in?
It will be worth the effort i wouldnt swop my boy for the world we win numerous veteran classes and he is great jumping horse, they have to gain your trust and you have to learn to understand them, if you need any help my email is kimtaylor@burgesspoter.co.uk perhaps we could have a chat?

I am way too inexperienced to offer any advice but I own an ex race horse and she is wonderful. So I just want to encourage you--go for it. I know it can be done. I just leave it to the more experienced people to tell you how.

I had the same problem

Race horses are taught to more forward without leg, only whip and reins, very hard to break but can be done.

I would go back to basics (if possible her re-trained by a pro.)

90% of the time the race trainer doesnt take the time to break them in properly, and dont realise that if they did they would get a better result they just through the saddle on for a day, hop on the next.
not what you want.

As for collection this is going to take time, i would worry about the little things like bending to the left and right, practice circles, spirils, and work on flexing you may find that she has perfect flex to one side depending on which way they raced her around the track.

after she is flexing and bending you want to get her moving forward before traning her to collect, you wont be able to get collection unless she is forward in her movements

i'm still working on my TB she still turns like a bus going left but not to worried about it yet we are doing lots of work

jac

newrider.com