Starting driving advice needed.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
We are joining our local harness club, we did a days stewarding for them last year which was a great day out and will help again this year where we can.But want to know about gettting our Shetland mare a harness and cart which?We want a two wheeler (looking at the robinsons for breaking and intial driving) to start of with and think possibly a second had Bennington would be what we are looking at long term.We aim to mainly pleasure drive to start with.And either a tedex or Zilco shetland harness ? Sweep has done lots of long reining in harness in the past and has driven mainly pleasure but the last few years been mainly ridden.Where to start with re breaking any and all advice would be helpful.My plan is to start long reining her in harness both in the field and on the roads this spring.Get her pulling etc.

Also going to book a day at Bennington for trial driving day.

:D:D:D:eek:

Last edited:
2nd hand Bennington is a really good idea. The Robinsons carts are getting a bit of bad press, suitable only for really light work, no off road and they don't seem to last.

I LOVE my Bennington, it's Icelandic/Fjord sized.

If you cannot find one, Hartland are not bad at all. Very pleased with my training/kickabout wagonette. It's taken a lot of stick and still scrubbs up for show.

If you know, for a rock solid fact that she has driven before, if you have help then get her pulling a tyre over all terrain, especially grit and gravel, then put to....but ONLY if you know it to be the gospel truth that she is a driving pony.

Our Shetlands can take 2 years off and go straight back into driven mode, in an instant. Just take it steady and listen to what she tells you, she'll tell you if she is understanding what's going on.

Thanks for the advice Wally. I know she has driven before as a friend broke her for driving about 12 years ago.But she has mainly be used for lead rien since.I think she will need re breaking due to ammount of time off but she has driven in a excercise vehicle a fair ammount till she became my daughters lead rien.

Long riening in harness,Pulling tyres and chains (for noise) is my plan.Then a lady from the local driving club offered her help if we need it :)

Ive got a Heartland. Its very good. Feels stable too
SDC11499.jpg

Only got it at Christmas so cant say how it will last. I had a Robinsons cart but I didnt really like it so I sold it. The person buying it appears to have no stability issues.
Skippy you kindly mentioned me, but Wally is light years more experienced and qualified than me so I wont comment, apart from please do wear a hat and have a groom.

Ive got a Heartland. Its very good. Feels stable too
SDC11499.jpg

Only got it at Christmas so cant say how it will last. I had a Robinsons cart but I didnt really like it so I sold it. The person buying it appears to have no stability issues.
Skippy you kindly mentioned me, but Wally is light years more experienced and qualified than me so I wont comment, apart from please do wear a hat and have a groom.

Wow.I like you pair and carriage thank you for including the photo :)
We were looking at a two wheeler to start with just for finacial reasons.
I will be wearing a hard hat and and my OH will be acting as groom we intend to have quite a few lessons before we start driving her.She will take awhile to rebreak and i have Sally Walronds books for reference.Though i did help my Ex with breaking our Fell to harness so have some experience.And a lady we know from the local driving club says we can give her a shout if we need any help.

newrider.com