starting driving again!

dunrobin_topper

dunrobin_topper
Aug 27, 2007
Sunny Dunny
Hi there guys, usually post on the riding threads but i have a dilemma! I usually hack my welsh cob x out but lately there havent been that many folks to go out with so i have had to resort to getting my dad or bf to come walking with me (nearest bridle path is a few miles from the stable through lots of farm traffic etc). I feel bad getting them to trapse that far with me (up to an hour sometimes!) so i thought i would have another go at driving so they could have some fun too (neither ride and are too tall for Tops!)

Topper is a eleven year old welsh cob x who we had broken in to driving when he was five. He was bred to be driven and ridden. We had a spell for about 2 years where we drove him once/twice a week but then he matured alot and got very strong and stubborn so i decided i would ride him more and we abandoned the cart (2 wheel heavy weight thing!) . he then out grew the harness so that was that! He is very good long linning still and on the lunge with voice commands however he is still very strong and i ride him in mullen mouth pelham. He is good with traffic but he has a tendancy to want to look at the car which might prove tricky with a cart behind him so thats my only worry but he never used to mind things like that when we first broke him.

My question is, if i bought new harness what bit could i use?? He used to love going in the cart and would trot the majority of the journey if he got his way!
There is an owner of two standard bred trotters who has offered to help me out harnessing up etc and starting me off again but any extra info would be brilliant especially since i havent driven for about 4 years! Thanks :)

Bit-wise I would be looking at a Liverpool or similar and start on the top slot as similar to a pelham. If he was ok in traffic when you broke him (and sounds like he is basically still ok) then I wouldn't worry too much - horses can be very different ridden and driven, and of course blinkers make a difference. Might need some more schooling if the strong and stubborn is an issue, but taking it slowly with help on the ground you should be fine since you know he drives ok. If I were you I would treat myself to some lessons just to refresh you before you start again - and they are always good anyway :)

Welsh cobs are lovely in harness - have fun!

Thanks very much, im looking forward to having another go at driving! Ive been having a look at the websites recommended for buying harness and the Tedex sets seem to be reasonably priced as if he doesnt take back to it then i wouldnt be wasting too much money. Are they any good though? I bought my previous harness from the standard bred trotter trainer (it was a shetland/pony size - Topper was 4 at the time and not very cob like then!). I will have a wee read into the liverpool bit i think!

Im from East Lothian and ive only ever come across two others who drive their horses which is a shame as i think its a great sport! :)

Tedex are a good starter/general purpose harness have heard of no problems with them and they are generally recommended by most people as the harness to get within that sort of budget. They also have a good resale value if you should decide it isn't working with him. There are a few different bits but the Liverpool is a good standard issue one which gives you the option of a pelham type level of control as well as milder settings - the bottom slot (they are generally known as top/middle/bottom bar for some reason) is stronger but not generally used as it really is severe, you can be thrown out of driving classes with your bit on that setting as it is seen as too harsh and only for emergencies (like if you are out on a drive and horse ripping your arms out and being so strong as to be unsafe then you could switch it down) - a horse that needs that setting is considering in need of reschooling and unsafe to be out in public. But the top slot is commonly used and will give you roughly a Kimblewick type of action, and of course you can always move to a milder setting if all goes well - I used to drive mine at home on rough cheek (a bit like a hanging cheek/baucher snaffle in action) and on the top slot in competitions when they got a bit strong! Hope that makes sense!

Agree with Esther, the Liverpool is a very versatile bit and you can swap it about to get the results you want without having to keep changing bit.

They come with a number of mouths too. You can get ports, rubber, joints and lozenges all with the Liverpool cheeks.

Army reversables have a similar ability to be a movable feast.

Have a look at this thread
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75125

there is a post with all manner of driving bits pictured.

newrider.com