Starting jumping

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I am wanting to do just very low level light jumping. Very basic just to have a bit of fun. I am doing Poles atm but dont know where to start with jumping. With the boy who is 15.

I started on the lunge. Start with raised poles and then I progressed to building tiny X poles. I made sure he was really happy with the height before we went bigger - so being able to keep the same bend, rhythm and relaxation on the approach, over the fence & away from the fence.

Them I just started the same process under saddle.

Have fun!

Reactions: lauren123 and Huggy
I’m guessing he has jumped before? I would just start with a placing pole to a little x. I’d probably progress to a back pole to make a spread and then uprights. Like said before keep everything small (and I realise small is different to different people so start with what you are happy with) so that it is too easy rather than scaring you. I think your boy has had lameness so I would start with 2 or 3 jumps a session. End wanting to do more.

He’s jumped before, you’ve jumped him before, if you’ve decided to jump him just stick up a couple of 50-60cm cross poles and do a few jumps. Just monitor like a hawk for any pulses or discomfort in the few days after.

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com