Starting out - Competing, w/o horse

numrx

New Rider,ex future rider
Mar 31, 2007
Dallas, Texas, USA
On my first thread (Where to even start..., http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107500) I got a ton of positive responses. I was really happy and everyone was really helpful.

I visited my friend's sister's trainer Saturday and she is really really nice. I also watched the younger riders jumping. It looked like fun, but a bit confusing. So, I talked to my Mom about wanting to start lessons and she said "where do you want to go with this?", My response was quite delayed. I said to her that at some point I may want to start competing, if I am still interested.

This conversation made me think about one of my worries (again). If I do get hooked then what will I do later down the road about competing if I don't have either a share, lease, or a horse of my own? I am 18 after all and I won't be living with my parents forever. My Mom definately indicated that having a horse would probably not be a possibility. All of this eventually made me think that if I do get hooked, then I will not get anywhere because I will not have my own horse. Any advice about that? :confused:

At some barns, at least in the US, you are allowed to show the lesson horse you are riding. Thats what we do at my barn. If you start up and get hooked, talk with your RI about showing possiblities. They are the best ones to talk to.

Best of Luck!

I do have some of the same problems as you, I defenetly know how you feel!
Like Luv 2 Trot said, when you compete you can probly ride your lesson horse, so you dont have to own or lease one. Okay I dont know as much as I would like about horses but in my opinion: I do think that when you get very experienced it would be a good idea to buy your own horse. But this will probly be a few years later.
Looks like your being a little too prepared. Cause like you said before, "If im still interested", you cant buy a horse and then decide you dont want to ride anymore. I defenetly know how you feel though, if your like me you got a weird feeling thats like, time is running out or something.

But yeah, I defenetly think you should go ahead and start take lessons, hopefully by the time getting your own horse is a need, you will be in a situation where you can get one.

Hope I helped... and actually made sense!

I defenetly know how you feel though, if your like me you got a weird feeling thats like, time is running out or something.

Yeah, I kind of feel that way too in the back of my mind. The reason why is because I know several people that started when they were very young. And I would be starting much later.

Last edited:
yea a lot of barns will let you show horses yu ride for lessons. i've been showing for years and it was only last summer that my parents finally let me lease a horse,... and you dont HAVE to show... i dont do a lot of showing anymore because i like working with younger horses and stuff that arent ready to show, and a lot of my friends dont like showing either and just like riding for fun... so dont think yu have to do anything with riding except have fun with it

I agree with the above poster.

I have only recently started lessons and have no desire to compete (i'm not competitive and doubt i'd ever be that good at competing to be honest! lol) BUT this hasn't stopped me still wanting to just learn to ride and learn more about horses. I know that once a week i get to ride a horse and its something to look forward to and something i enjoy and a hobby. I also like the fact that i am learning something new. Do you have to have an end target? would you not just want to start lessons and see what happens?

I would like to share a horse one day but i know that is a long way off and if i never get chance to do it then i'd be quite happy just to continue lessons and go on horsey holidays and hacks. :)

would you not just want to start lessons and see what happens?

Yeah, that's a good point Mistertron. I should just start lessons and see what happens from there. School's almost out and I'm still very interested in taking lessons.

May 5th with my church I am volunteering for Equest, an organization that helps children and adults with various dissabilities. I hope that maybe this opportunity will also give me some experience around horses. And if I volunteer enough, for $300 I can take an 11 week riding program. That's half the price of what other people pay.

May 5th with my church I am volunteering for Equest, an organization that helps children and adults with various dissabilities. I hope that maybe this opportunity will also give me some experience around horses. And if I volunteer enough, for $300 I can take an 11 week riding program. That's half the price of what other people pay.

Sounds like a good scheme! good luck with it - keep us all updated on how you get on. I'd bet once you have one riding lesson you will get the bug like the rest of us. :D

Lol, it's not exactly a scheme :D , I don't want people to think I'm using Equest (the organization) so that I can get cheap lessons. I'll just volunteer and see what happens from there. I will probably start out at the RS I've been talking about anyways.

I'd just start lessons and not worry about the "What if's" and then you'll either find out that you are interested or that your not. and if you are, then, I'm sure life willl change and some doors might open.

This seems to be pretty much a New World thread (honourable exclusion for Derbyshire!), but it can't be that different - horses are horses after all.

Me, I have the opposite problem, I have a competitive horse and I ride and school him all the time, but I'm not good enough to give him the chance he deserves in competitions, so I look for talented young riders to do the comps with him - and very successful we've all been too.

So if you get good enough, then maybe someone will come along and ask you to ride for them. But until you try, you'll never know.

SF

newrider.com