Starting rid!ing again

cider

Sep 28, 2005
Hi Everyone, I am new and am very excited to have found this forum. I feel I have got so much in common with a lot of people on here.

I am 41 years old and have never lost my life long love of horses. I was a pony mad girl whose parents could not afford to buy me a pony, so hence was one of those kids hanging around the riding school, helping out and hoping to get a free ride. At that age I was also completely fearless. The more difficult and lively the pony, the better as far as I was concerned!!! I was brought up in Weston super Mare and have fantastic memories of riding along the beach.

About 6 years ago I started riding again, and was horrified to find that I had completely lost my nerve. I expected to be a bit rusty but found that I was absolutely hopeless on top of a horse. I was terrified of riding in the outdoor school, hated hacking and was always imaging the worse i.e. the horse spooking, the horse bolting, getting hit by a car (I have a very vivid imagination!). Even when riding in the indoor school I had visions of the horse slipping whilst going round a bend. I felt very nervous before the lessons and was not enjoying myself. It all came to a head when whilst out on a hack one morning the horse I was on slipped whilst trotting on wet grass, went down completely and nearly rolled on me.

I have not ridden now for about 5 years and am very cross with myself that I did not persevere. The thing is I LOVE horses, always have done and my biggest regret is that I have wasted so many years not riding. I am now in a position where we probably afford for me to have my own horse (something I would have killed for as a child) and could really kick myself for not having the courage now.

Anyway, I have decided that I am going to start riding again. I want to find somewhere with an instructor who is going to give me the confidence and will not make me feel stupid. I need to find somewhere in the Suffolk/Norfolk area so any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Reading some of the posts on here has given me hope that it is not too late for me to achieve my childhood dream and any tips/inspiration you can give me to get back in the saddle would be much appreciated! :)

Hello and welcome to the board!

I think adults have a much stonger sense of self-preservation than kids, hence why there seem to be many adult riders who lack some confidence. Lets face it we have jobs, mortgages, kids, pets, partners (not in order of importance ;) ) to worry about!

Good on you for thinking about riding again - I can only recommend that you do it! Take the time to find a school that suits your requirements, take some lessons, and don't be afraid to vote with your feet if it doesn't suit! No need to rush things - if you feel happy walking for the first 10 years, then you are allowed. Just enjoy the experience and hopefully some of your gremlins might disappear.

Also don't forget that although accidents can happen, they are fairly rare - I ride my horse about 4 times a week and have done for 2 1/2 years, she is a handful at the best of times, and I am not a brilliant rider, but I have only fallen off 3 times - once my fault, getting on off a slippery chair that fell over, the 2nd when going over a jump when I hadn't jumped for oooo 15 years, and the 3rd when she fell over her own feet in the school. Silly mare!

Relax, smile, enjoy and have loads of fun - and welcome back to the horse world! :D

Good luck with your dreams. You will get a lot of support and good advice from the people here. I don't know how they have put up with me and my woes but they do .Just when i think i have bored them to tears they come back with more help.

I don't live in your area but i bet you get lots of recomendations and when you do i will be smiling for you. :)

Don't let go of the dream this time , you will never regret it.

Piebald Ridder, I have been reading your threads and I am really sorry for the bad luck you have had. You sound very much like me in that owning a horse was a dream come true for you.

I am sure that everything will work out alright for you in the end. I know that being 'horsey' is never easy and that there is a fair share of heartache along with the good times!

Everyone on here seems very sympathetic, supportive and kind and non judgemental. I can appreciate how it has probably been a great comfort and help sharing your problems on here, especially as so many seem to have gone through similar situations. I am sure you will eventually make the right decision and hopefully can soon look forward to many more happy, horsey times.

Hi and Welcome!
You'll soon be addicted to NR ! along with your passion for horses of course!

I hope you find a RI that you get on with real soon. I'd hate to think any RI would make you feel stupid! :eek:

I'm a new rider, never had the chance to have lessons as a child (lack of money) and wasn't close enough to a RS to work for rides unfortunately... but am riding now and fully appreciate the big step you are taking.

I'm sure the others will have some great tips for you!

Hi Cider,

I have just started back after 15 years, and yes it was a shock to realise I could not just get on the horse and ride it like I used to, but I am so happy I started to ride again, I hope you get as much fun from returning to riding as I have found.

I hope it all gose well and you find a good RI.

Hi Cider, welcome to the board!

I started again as an adult (but without nearly as much experience during childhood as you had).

Although nerves weren't as much of a factor for me, my own expectations were very much a factor at first. In the first few lessons, I felt frustrated and demoralized at not being able to "ride better." For me, I had to make a conscious effort to adjust my expectations and take on a "beginner's mind." Once I dropped all preconceptions and expectations of myself, I was able to relax and really enjoy myself. I also found that I improved more quickly, as I wasn't tensing from frustration, I was more able to focus on what I needed to work on, and I was more able to recognize and acknowledge when I made improvements.

Hi Cider and welcome to NR:)

You are right, you do have loads in common with most people here. I am in my forties, and like you, rode a lot as a child, and then took up riding again a lot later on when my daughters started.

I bought my first horse age 40. He was a perfect older cob, who tragically had to be put down five years later due to a major recurring tendon injury. I then made the classic mistake of over horsing myself with a lovely show cob type mare, and lost loads of confidence. She now has a new lovely home, and I have the gorgeous Sennie (see avatar), a 15hh bay section d, who can be cheeky, but is perfect for me. We have spent a year and a half getting to know one another, and this season have done a bit of showing (in hand), and are looking forward to our first sponsored ride. Taking it slowly :) ;)

I understand exactly what you mean about nerves, and how very different it is from when you are a fearless child. I also can sympathise completely with the overactive imagination part, as in the past I have imagined every worst case scenario, the helicopter ambulance being called, being paralysed from the waist down etc etc. :eek: :rolleyes:

Although I'm not a million miles from you, I don't know of any good riding schools in your area, sorry. But I do hope you find one, and can have some real fun with horses. It is so worth it :D

Hello Cider

Welcome to New Riders (although I am quite new too).

If it is any consolation I started riding at age 48 - ten years ago! And I had never ridden as a child - ballet was my passion then!! I started to learn to ride with my daughter when she left University.

In 10 years I have gone from masses of confidence, hacking out, riding holidays, to horrid fall, complete loss of nerve, getting back the confidence a bit and beginning to canter again. Bought a HW Irish cob first off who was much too big for me, sold him and bought a little 14.2 Welshie who is perfect but is off work with a tendon injury :mad:

However it seems the path of horseman (or woman) ship never runs smooth - but it is always challenging and never dull!

Even when I have decided (many times) that I am too old and will give it all up :eek: I only have to hear that evocative clip clop of those hooves and I know I am hooked for ever, come what may!

Good luck Cider with your return to riding - this is a great board fpr people like us!

Snowflake
:) :)

Actaully Cider, I've just had a thought about that riding instructor. Becky Chapman, who is a "Ride With Your Mind" instructor who trained my instructor, the wonderful Julie Crussell, has just started up a new place herself. She herself trained under Mary Wanless. Its called Ashen Equestrian Centre, and its website is www.ashenequestriancentre.co.uk

I don't think its terribly far from you, and would definitely suit you, as you describe yourself. Worth a go :D

I know exactly what you mean Snowflake. I live out in the country and get quite a few horses going past my house. I only have to hear them in the distance and I immediately revert back to being a 12 year old girl and rush to the window or the gate to see who is going by!

I have to say that although I have only been on here less than a day I now feel really inspired. There has always been some excuse for my delaying in finding a riding school - i.e. I want to lose a stone first, wait for the better weather etc but have now decided to bite the bullet and definitely go for it. I am on holiday for a week on Saturday, but when I come back I am going to visit the two riding schools closest to me and have a look round and see what sort of feel I get for them and then book some private lessons to start with at the one I get the best feeling for. I will keep you all updated.

Cazrider, I've just read your last post. Thanks a lot for that. I will definitely add them to my viewing when I get back from holiday. Sounds just what I am looking for.

I am so happy to have found this website. I've looked at various other horsey ones but always felt a bit intimidated about joining in as they all sounded far more experienced than me and I always felt they would probably not be that interested in what I had to say or my concerns.

It is weird but I was having some reflexology treatment yesterday and was moaning to the therapist about how I wanted to get involved with horses again and did not know where to start, or if I had the confidence. She said to me if something is meant to be it will happen. You will find yourself bumping into someone who can help or a letter will come through the door etc. Then blow me, I come across the perfect web site for me just by chance later on in the afternoon. Fate or what! :)

Hi Cider and welcome! A lot of us here have been where you currently are so you are not alone! I started again after a 20 year break, have had my boy for 4 years now and can't imagine my life without him. So get thee to a riding school and enjoy!

Hi Cider,
I'm not far from you, I live in Thetford and have a horse at MiddleFarm Equestrian Centre, East Harling. It's a riding school and livery yard.
Everyone is really friendly and they have several instructors there who are all very patient and understanding.

I'm just a little bit older than you at 43 and started riding 6 years ago and class myself as a nervous rider. I know exactly where you are coming from when you say you hate hacking, I am just the same, when I get out there I constantly run disaster movies and "what ifs" through my head so maybe we could tackle it together!!

There is an increasing number of adults having lessons here now(when I first came to M/F with my first horse there were very few of us)five of us even went out for lunch today after our lessons!

It's only 10/15 from Diss so not too far from you. Let me know if you want any more info.
Karen

Hello Cider and welcome to this lovely supportive community.

The love of horses never leaves you does it? I was lucky enough to have riding lessons as a child but did not get my own horse until my thirties. Now in my fifties (how can that be?) I have three and another out on loan.
Good luck with your riding!

Hello and welcome Cider!!! This is a great board - I'm 36 :eek: didn't start riding again until I was 35 - so not been doing it long!! I had a few scattered lessons / hacks as a child - so it was quite a shock getting on board at my age after so long!!! This is a great board and its made me feel sooo much better so many times - cos although my teacher is great, there have been times on our yard when I've been made to feel like a silly thirtysomething with nothing better to spend her money on :mad: and that really I ought not to have bothered, seeing as I haven't been doing it from child hood constantly. Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy this board - there are some great characters on here ;) and like I said, there will prob be more than one occasion when you need cheering up - this is the place to come :p

Have booked my first lesson. 10am on Thursday morning. Am very excited and can't wait although I bet I will be nervous as anything come 9.30. Have just fished my jodhpurs out which luckily still fit. Will update you on how I get on!

Got my own first 14.2 chestnut Pony at 49 after riding other peoples for about 18 months, I made the mistake of not letting him get settled in before going out on him, he had the farrier, dentist, saddle fitter all in a couple of hours after only 3 days on a new yard, silly me, first canter out with new friends and buck buck buck, off I came and broken collar bone, learnt the hard way, first off give your horse plenty of time to settle into new surroundings and ride him/her in school before hacking out, secondly get a decent body protector with shoulder pads, get to know what pushes their buttons before going on the road.
I am now 51, Polo can still be a ginger knobhead but I love him to bits and ride nearly everyday, I was out for over 3 hours of mixed hacking yesterday with friends and it was great fun.
My own rules to myself are dont be pushed into doing something your not happy with, build up to things in your own time, also if I am not happy in a situation on the road I will always try to pick the safe option even if it is not always the legal option, example, busy traffic lights at crossroads, Po not in best mood, nip through alleyway if no one coming rather than try to force him to stand still amongst loads of traffic.
I didn't ride for 9 weeks while broken bone mended, but whenI got back on even though nervous it still felt the only place in the world to be, been off a few times since but the body protecter helped a lot, never ride without.
Now have a treeless saddle, Po seems to like it and seems freer in all gaits plus I sit deeper into him and it's comfy.

Good luck and get stuck in, it's an emotional roller coatster but when it's good
theres nothing to touch it, best of luck.

newrider.com