starting to do work without reins

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so yesterday I had a lesson where I trotted with one hard on the neck strap and one hard out in front of me I also attempted to walk with neither hard holding on to any thing. that was scarry times :) but progress must being made

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes I remember how odd it felt when I had lessons and we let go! You'll look back one day and remember it all! It sounds like you're making progress. It can feel a bit scary - lol fourteen years on and I still wouldn't be in a hurry to let go of Zi's reins.....not yet anyway.......lesson horses are fab aren't they?:)

I am only on my seventh lesson, todays wasn't greatest. But I remember my first lesson, being asked to hold one arm out, then the other, then being asked to take my feet out of stirrups and walk. thought I would fall off! But I didn't, and I still have to do this even now, great for confidence and balance. :)

One instructor I had said she didn't get reins at all for quite a few lessons. I wish I had been taught like that!

It took me ages to get the reins and I still sometimes don't. My RI says to think of them as a teatray and move your tray from side to side. So it goes right to turn left if that makes sense? The way I learnt was by doing legyield, shoulder in, quarters in. But it still goes to pieces the minute I try and put her through a puddle!

newrider.com