Static shock when removing fly rug help

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
As some of you are aware my OH is looking after Chanter for me while I am away but he is having a problem with his fly rug.

I noted that before I left CHanter was getting static shocks when I removed his fly rug and he was getting more figgety each time I removed it. So I started to quarter it in to smaller squares before taking it off completely and this seemed to help.

But my OH is not as constant as I am and has just been removing it or so I have been told and when he went away for a couple of days my mate was looking after him. She went to change his fly rug for a rain sheet as he was cold and did not quarters it but just pulled it off, He kicked her in the leg and she had to go to A&E. I feel horrid he was never kicked out ever. She did say it was her fault for not removing it correctly and I have told her to remind OH how to do it.

BUT

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop him getting a static shock. He is a really poof anyway and plays up on the smallest thing so I don't need him getting it in his head that it is going to hurt.

Any advice that I can pass on would be great.

still 7 weeks to go:cry:

7 weeks will fly by - just keep your head down!:smoke:

I have the same thing with Dolly's fly rugs - was mortified the 1st time it happened - she just skipped sideways and looked at me as though I was the devil himself!:unsure:

So - have washed them and now make sure I put fabric conditioner in the machine - seems to be working - but like you I am still careful how I remove it, sort of a little bit peeled back at a time. But so far no static!

I take it at the front and push/ slide it back until it comes off - it cackles it (like a ballon on wooly jumper) but doesn't make the zap between you and horse. Just dont make contact with horseHer fly tugs are cotton.

Same problem here - the folding up helps but what about a Bounce sheet rubbed over it first? I do this in the winter since Rusty gets quite a shock in our dry winters.

Oh dear I have had the exact same problem and I have folded it up and lifted it like you have.

Ironically, the solution I've found also helps the fly problem - I spray fly spray onto a big sponge and wipe him down with it each time he comes in (he does Irish dancing if I just spray it at him lol).. I think the little moisture helps.

newrider.com