Still not eating

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Raf is still off his hard feed, although Rowen Barbary kindly sent me some samples of their ReadyMash Extra and he did eat that - didn't exactly lick the bowl clean, but he made a good effort so I'm going to get a bag of it today and see how long he'll eat it before turning his nose up again. I've also just got some syringeable vit B complex, seeing as he isn't taking the one recommended by the vet because it goes in his feed ... Also he has given himself an almighty bang on his head on the bar above his stable - when I got there a couple of days ago he had blood running down his face and was such a drama queen about having his wounds cleaned.

Still trying out my new phone I took this short video of him and Jack in the paddock, but Jack doesn't show up very well. You can see how thin Raf is getting, although clearly still a cocky little beggar ...

Have you tried Allen & Page? Only asking because we had the rep out back in January with the weigh scales and we were all given free samples. I was given Veteran Lite for Jack and for the first time in years he hoovered it up! We were the only ones on the yard to be recommended VL so I ended up being able to feed him the whole bag over time and every day he attacked it voraciously. He usually gets Kwikbeet, Happy Hoof and pony nuts with added oil - so not exactly diet food anyway!

Now.... the only reason I'm telling you this is because Jack always goes off hard feed when the grass comes through. However, he also loses condition for a few weeks around this time due to the massive metabolism effort of shedding his winter coat, so we end up in this losing weight/not wanting feed dip. All he wants is lots and lots of spring grass, which of course I have to limit. :(

Anyway, yesterday I bought him a bag of Veteran Vitality (the other bag having loooong gone!) - with higher calories - to tide him over as he is looking a bit tucked up and lean. I added a little to his usual feed last night and once again, in Jack's case it is like pony crack!! Scoffed in record time!!! I have to say that is really lovely to see him tucking into something with such gusto after a long time.

If you haven't tried it - and you'd like to - PM me your name and address and I will send a sample scoop-full for Raf to try xx

PS Raf looks GAWJUS showing off!!!

Oooh Raf is so floaty and beautiful!!!! Hmm. I can't really think what would tempt him, other than keep trying new feeds, if mine go off say Happy Hoof I switch to Dodson and Horrell pony nuts and then back again. Ready graze is something they will both eat atm too. Though no doubt will go off it soon enough!

Thanks @domane - based on your recommendation I just rang Allen & Page and they are going to send me some samples of the Veteran Lite. The very helpful lady I spoke to agreed it would be the best product in their range for Raf.

The dentist told me that Raf will have gone off his feed because of the spring grass, but the vet didn't think it was that, a) because we have no spring grass yet (still on winter paddocks until the end of the month) and b) he's never done it before (although there is a first time for everything - I really hope he doesn't make a habit of this every year!) Vet thought it was to do with the increased exercise training for that race we did, hence the vitamin B supplement.

Of course, I'm not too bothered at this stage what the reason is, I just want him to eat again before he melts away into nothing. Really hopeful that the Veteran Lite will do the trick - the lady at A&P said they always recommend that (or the Vitality) for fussy eaters and they seem to love it. Thanks for the tip :)

Reactions: domane
Oooh Raf is so floaty and beautiful!!!! Hmm. I can't really think what would tempt him, other than keep trying new feeds, if mine go off say Happy Hoof I switch to Dodson and Horrell pony nuts and then back again. Ready graze is something they will both eat atm too. Though no doubt will go off it soon enough!

Thanks @Trewsers. We've switched him between feeds a lot and he seems to eat them for a couple of days, then goes off them. Currently he seems to prefer the 'cheap' option - wouldn't eat expensive nuts, but had a go at cheap ones, then completely ignored them. Went off his own more expensive mix but currently eating some cheap stuff, although not very enthusiastically, so not expecting that to last too long either. He will eat Readigrass/Graze On, but I don't think I can give him enough to get any weight on him. Trouble is, it's so expensive buying a bag of feed, then having to discard it before it's a quarter finished - plus it takes up feed bins! So that's why I'm having to take up begging feed companies for free samples lol.

Reactions: Trewsers
Fingers crossed! All the horses on the yard scoffed all the varieties of A&P - some were on Calm & Condition, Ride & Relax, etc.... but every horse scoffed it up really well.

Reactions: Bodshi
No help at all on the feed front as I have the opposite problem, but just wanted to say WOW, Raf looks stunning. :D

Just a thought, the not eating on Prascend is said to come and go, would it be worth trying the apf again? Or reducing his Prascend for a couple of weeks?

He looks gorgeous, God that trot! Does he do that with you on board? He's not exactly like a hat rack, either.

Mattie always gets very skinny at this time of year - the coat change really seems to take it out of him. He is ribby and hippy. He does continue to eat though. I found that Readymash Extra was great for putting on weight but his normal feed is A&P Veteran Vitality, which he loves and prefers to everything else.

So worrying when they drop off. I hope he starts eating soon!

Rowan barbery purple mash is good

Equerry condition mash

Calm and condition

I'm trying Saracen releve as my next new one as Kia has gone off what he has eaten all winter :rolleyes:

Thank you ladies @Kite_Rider and @Jane&Ziggy. He is strutting his stuff in the video and looking quite impressive, but can equally look like a donkey at times! He only occasionally does that trot with me on board (when he's seeing dragons) and it feels incredibly bouncy. If I were Charlotte Dujardin I would be able to sit it and look very elegant, but it doesn't work out like that for me :p

@Jessey - Never thought about the APF. I will put that on my list of possible things to try, crossing them off one by one ... I really want to reduce his Prascend, as it has just been increased from half to one tablet, but he went off his feed weeks before it was increased.

I'm looking forward to getting the A&P Veteran Lite to try - the lady at A&P didn't recommend the Veteran Vitality because of it's high combined sugar and starch content - 14.7% - she said Cushings horses should be kept below 10% if possible (although my own vet tells me this isn't necessary in a non-laminitic horse such as Raf). However she did say that the Lite and the Vitality have the same blend of herbs etc so both equally tasty to horses.

Someone else has mentioned Equerry condition mash @MrC - now added to my list of possibles. Saracen Releve is what Raf was on before this whole sorry episode started - he used to love it, but then completely went off it. Briefly started to eat it again about a week and a half ago, then decided actually no he didn't like it after all. Other horse loves it, as does YO's little Section A - when he's free ranging the yard he always makes a beeline for my bin with the Releve in. He knows which bin it's in and always goes straight for it. If you want me to send you some to try, PM me and I'll put some in a jiffy bag or something.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes I had a real quandary whether to buy the VV or the VL. But Jack isnt a laminitic (yet! I never get complacent) and as the bag of VL states "for good doers", which Jack isn't - and the VV bag states "for poor doers", which Jack is.... I decided to risk it. Also, I don't think I will feed it in isolation so he won't be getting an RDA portion - he will get "some".... soaked and added to his usual rations (very scientific and technical!!!)

Raf is sooooo beautiful!
He looks like he's feeling well which I guess it something, though I can understand what a worry it must be for you.

Bodshi have you tried dried mint? It is low sugar but obviously palatable and strong in smell so won't alter nutrition too wildly but might make it more appealing?

Bodshi have you tried dried mint? It is low sugar but obviously palatable and strong in smell so won't alter nutrition too wildly but might make it more appealing?
Thanks @popularfurball, I haven't tried mint. That sounds a really good idea, although (fingers crossed and whispering) he has eaten his feed 2 days in a row now - cheap mix in the morning and Ready Mash Extra at night. I don't know whether it's the syringeable vitamin B complex supplement that I gave him on Wednesday or whether it's just coincidence.

Reactions: Jessey
Mattie would eat Ready Mash Extra until he exploded. He has had one full bag this month and is round and glossy where before he was ribby and sorry looking. I'm not buying him any more though!

Amber would too! I bought her one bag and that was enough to put some weight and shine on her. But the Ready-Mash-Cafe is now closed! It's magic stuff!!

newrider.com