Stirrup leathers

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What are some good, long lasting but not hundred quid stirrup leathers?
My old very thick leather, leathers started to crack a couple of years ago after maybe 20 years. So after having a friends new Rheingold leather snap right in half on me I opted to buy Thorowgood web core leathers, but the hole has started to elongate after maybe 2 years of use. If I actually believed the hundred quid ones would last 20 years like my old faithful's I'd spend it, but they all seem to be half as thick and such soft leather I can't see it happening.

I have some Gfs ones? Least I think that's the emblem stamped on them. They've been going strong for ten years plus. I had some others but lent them someone and never saw them again, they were good too, but I don't think they were that expensive. Could even have been Robinsons own.

Reactions: Jessey
I had a pair of stirrup leathers (bought in the 90's) for years and they were fab, the newer leathers these days all seem to feel plasticky and brittle, even the expensive brands.

I have Bates. Had them five years at least now and I bought them second hand. No stretching, no problems with holes getting bigger. Would recommend them. Not looked at the ‘new’ price of them though........

I've my Decathalon pair for like 2 1/2 years of almost daily use in all weather. They'll probably be replaced with another pair this year, as one has stretched a little but for less than £20 they've been amazing :)

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
newrider.com