stopped loving it!!help!!

nicci1234

Feb 20, 2005
Not sure how or where to start?? not posted for ages but i think i may of stopped loving my riding i am the typical happy hacking have alesson every two weeks keep my hand in, ride with my kids love watching the excitment on there faces when they learn something new or get bettere at something but the last twice i have hacked ou (last time on completely new horse(dont own my own!) i was on pins , expecting the worst i guess never have liked road work but has to be done where i am to get to a ocean of fields to have a good run out , found my self wishing the hour was up and we could get back, help

any advice gratefuly received

Yhanks for reading

Nicky

sorry that you're feeling this way. Sounds like your self preservation button has kicked in:D You've suddenly realised that yes horses are dangerous etc and are a little wary.
Slow things down, take a back seat for a while give yourself a break, try just enjoying being around horses for a while and don't worry about riding them I'm sure your enthusiasm will return soon:D

Sometimes tiredness can make you feel unenthusiastic and on-edge.
I get like that. It's frustrating! Took me a while to recognise what it was,too. The yard owner keeps saying "Stop beating yourself up!" when I get over-anxious. That's been helpful.:)

Sometimes we just need to take a break. Are your children young? Being a mom is hard work and exhausting. Anything stressful (as riding is for you at teh moment) just adds to the exhaustion. Take a break if you want to ! You don't lose anything by not doing what you don't feel like doing with horses. Since you do not have the responsibility of owning a horse, it is easy to back off and do only what you want to do. IF your children still want to go for a hack, take a bicycle and ride that with them (be sure horses are desensitized to bikes first). Be creative, but don't push to do what you don't want to do.

On the other hand, if it is fear based, sometimes we have to ride through our fear to get to the other side. It is hard to do that on a strange horse, though.

Be yourself, and don't feel guilty about what you want to do!

best of luck!

thanks

thanks for your replys my insturctor seem to think it is caise i have changed horses and that me and previous horse had buit a bond through me riding her every week, present horse threw my friend and she broke two ribs and hurt her back and had 7 weeks of work so she thinks its is perhaps a bit of fear so she has suggested while the kids ride at the weekend she is going to leave me and horse to it in the stable and round the yard so i can get to know his quirks etc and maybe bond with him a little she seems to be under the same inpressionthat although it is hard with riding school horses i have to feel confident hen we go out so a bit of ground work maty be benifical ,never been anywhere where paid to do there stable duties for them before lol but here goes thanks again

nikcy

You are not alone.

I like to get to know what ever horse I ride well, before I go out any where.
To me that is just good common sense.
If you are not sure about this new horse,, you are doing a good thing about taking your time to get to know him.

Gone are my days of just jumping onto what ever horse and taking off for the Sunset. The older one gets the more the self preservation kicks in.;)

Awww, I felt like that when I was having riding lessons at the school.

A different horse each week. Some passive and disinterested, some difficult or evasive and obstructive, all glassy eyed and lacking something I have only realised comes with that one to one bond. I can't explain it but I can say that although our horse can be all of the above both me and my daughter find that since having her she has really made us motivated and committed to horses and riding and the curtains have come back on that little horse's outlook on life too, she's loving being part of a family.

That is really badly explained and I sound like I'm trying to sell you a horse :eek: sorry, tired.

newrider.com