Stopping in an emergency - does anyone else do this?

Snow_Pony

Jul 19, 2007
Sussex
I lost my confidence in riding this year because of the antics of my cold-backed gelding. With him fixed and back to his lovely safe self it is coming back in leaps and bounds, however I do think it a good idea to try to prevent any incidents that would cause me to loose it again, so part of my schooling for him and for Delilah, my young welsh cob, is to teach them one rein stops. This gives me piece of mind as I know that no matter what the situation I will be able to safely stop my horses and remain in control. I suppose this is perhaps a pessimistic view, but I would prefer to be safe than sorry, and knowing I can stop no matter what really helps my confidence. Does anybody else plan for emergencies etc, or am I the only pessimistic one out there who doesnt entirely trust her rather flighty and excitable horses!!

I think that is an extremely good idea - I wish I had only thought about using that when I fell off this time last year and suffered a serious injury!

Lets hope others will take a leaf out of your book and follow suit!

Very good idea! :)

Preventive maintenance is never a bad idea! It's why most of my work with my mare has been walk/halt and trot/halt transitions. It doesn't take TOO much to "GO", but when something scares your horse, it's REALLY nice to know s/he will "STOP" for you before you wind up out in traffic or some other place you don't want to be!

Daphnelia, sorry for being new to it all, but how is a "one rein stop" performed?

I have had my share horse bolt with me on and it was very scary and think what your doing sounds like a really good idea :)

Sure:) Literally you loosen one rein and take the opposite rein back past your hip whilst using the same leg to disengage the hindquarters, so bring it back behind the girth. Disengaging the hindquarters makes the horse unable to buck or rear, and he can only go around in a tight circle and cant go forward. You shouldnt use it on a hill or in a somewhere where the footing is slippery. Heres a link to a good vid teaching the one rein stop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpDSbXPtzU

Hope that helps x

newrider.com