Straight bar bits-opinions?

shoniedaspony

me+horses=smiley person
Aug 22, 2003
north west london
Visit site
What are your opinions on straight bar bits?

Pressure/control/ horses like or dislike etc?

My horse is either bitless or in a straight bar pelham (only bit i could borrow, and he goes nicely in it, so bought one)- i know that sounds stupid, but he is happy with the curb/poll pressure, so i'm happy for him to be in it.

Especially recently, i have had very little need for the curb rein at all, and would like to purchase a single rein bit. Last jointed bit i rode him in he really didnt seem to be relaxed in, and kept chomping at it...a lot happier in the straight mouthpiece.

Seems stupid question, but shall i therefore just get a straight bar with normal rings/eggbutt?

What mouthpieces do people prefer? Metal/rubber/happymouth?
And what side rings?

Ta guys x

My boy was originally in an eggbutt snaffle.. he had next to no brakes in it, esp when jumping. When I decided to show him (for fun) I borrowed a Mullen mouth pelham.. straight away he went well in it... wasnt sure on how much contact to have on the curb rein so just held it without using it. He went so well in it, i bought him two bits, a Mullen mouth pelham for special and a bit of schooling in it, and a mullen mouth with snaffle rings.. have never looked back. he likes it so much he takes the bit himself, without the need to put fingers in the mouth.

The mullen mouth is similar to a straight bar, but is slightly curved so a bit more forgiving. also has a bit more room for a fleshy tongue.

Could your horse be tempted to try the mullen mouth snaffle rather than a straight bar?

BTW your question doenst sound stupid.... you borrowed a bit, feltr he went nice in it, and bought one.. I feel that people try too many bits, and end up having a collection of them, not really knowing if the horse likes or dislikes them.. in that way it can get quite confusing for both horse and rider.

I dont know if they are any better, i dont know much about bits, just went with what little I knew... TBH if your horse goes well bitless, and has a bit for whatever occassion, then maybe eggbutt rings would be the more sensible choice? As he will be more sensitive to mouth pressure??

I have a mullen mouth eggbutt for sale. My cob wore it for a while as he went well in a mullen mouth pelham, but went best in a ported mouth hanging cheek.
He is bitless now though:)

He probally has a very shallow roof of his mouth.
Blue does, and he dislikes any jointed bits because even french link bits can hit the roof of his mouth.
At the moment I ride Blue just on the snaffle rein of the pelham, no curb chain or rein.
Sort of like a straight bar hanging cheek snaffle ;)
He likes the myler snaffle that rotates in the middle but does not bend,( have forgotton the name but its a level 2 )
Why not see how he goes on the snaffle rein before you decide ?

im also havin this problem, im looking at the hanging cheek straight bar/ mullen mouth but really want the mouth piece to be made out of copper or sweet iron!!!! can't find one anywhere, help???:eek:

Oh yeah, my horse goes fantastic in a mullen mouth. I've got a thick rubber kimblewick mullen mouth and a SS mullen eggbutt snaffle. Kimblewick for exciting stuff in company, snaffle for schooling. The rest of the time she's bitless.

I have posted many times on Joy's bitting issues.

I fell into the trap of thinking jointed snaffles were best. She used to be at a riding school before I got her and I assumed they'd know what bit was best for her.

Eventually I stopped listening to everyone else when I read Heather Moffat saying about mullen mouthed pelhams.

In the end on the advice of an ex member I decided on a ported mouth instead of the french link. I didn't need the pelham as the change of mouthpiece was enough for hacking and the head flinging stopped. :)

Pee Wee Bit

I am using the pee wee bit. www.peeweebit.com

My horse is very sensitive but sometimes needs stopping power when she gets excited cantering on the trail. I had used a Tom Thumb but it was jointed and too severe for her.

She seems very responsive and relaxed in the bit. I don't need to use a lot of pressure.

There is a nice video on the website that tells about it. There are three different positions you can use it in.

newrider.com