Strange lump/boil on top lip..PICS!

gordysgirl

Dec 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Visit site
What do you reckon this could be? It started off about a month ago, where the area on near side of top lip went solid. I thought he had been stung, as this happened last year & after a while a ring formed with a central spot which eventually healed (vet did confirm). I have just ignored it as is hasn't changed, doesn't appear to be causing him pain & when you feel inside his mouth there is no sign of anything.
This morning when I went to turn out it had suddenly grown into a boil sort of thing, its kind of hard, but the very centre squishes in as if its about to pop. Again he doesn't seem in pain, let sme poke it & is eating happily.
Could it be that he's poked himself with something & its absessed?! Never seen anything like this before...
Image221.jpg

Hard to see on this one, but its too the right of his nose as you look at it.
Image219.jpg

Last edited:
It does sound to me like an abcess, is it warm to touch? Try leaving it another day to see if it grows any bigger.

The squishy bit in the middle is good, because if it bursts it should burst outwards, it may of already burst but healed over again before having a chance to drain. When the vet came out before what did he say it was?

I owned a guinea pig who had a recurring abscess, I must of taken him to the vets 5 times to have it drained over the period of a couple of months. In the end I was so fed up I decided to lance it myself. Well it certainly wasn't plesant, and the worst bit was flushing it numerous times a day with salt water. But it healed up and he didn't suffer from one ever again!

Is there anyone on your yard you can get to take a look at it? It's hard to tell from the pictures

The vet hasn't seen this one. Something similar happened last year but it just formed a ring (almost like a burn) & then healed - didn't develop into a big lump like this one! Vet said was probably a wasp/bee sting. He cribs on gate posts so I wander whether a similar thing has happened but it is developing in a different way.
Hmm..blooming horses!

My horse had something similar (a bit bigger) that came up on the side of his muzzle over a few days. You could see it was a fluidy lump so I had a good look/feel of it and found what I thought was a teeny tiny scab at the edge. So I picked it (as you do) and pus came out of the hole. I got cotton wool with TCP and gently pushed/wiped from the opposite edges of the lump towards the hole to get all of the goo out. You could see the visible relief on his face, bless him. It healed within a few days.

That little scab turned out to be the tiniest thorn - the wide end was smaller than a pinhead! The lump that came up was the size of a grape!

Has it gone down/popped or are you getting the vet to have a look?

newrider.com